what am i doing wrong? advice?

Options
so i started end of april with mfp, logging every day since. was down 25 lbs to 205 from 230. now up to 213 :<. the only thing I have changed is that I am lifting weights every other day. besides that I do low intensity cardio a few times a week, and one or two hiit sessions a week. I tried out keto for a few weeks, but to iifym because keto just wasn't sustainable to me. pretty much cut out alcohol except a night when I had way too much and learned my lesson. drinking 5 quarts of water a day. macros are 40/40/20 protein/fat/carbohydrates. tdee is 2483 and I pretty much stay under 1900. I weigh everything and log everything. I can't figure out where i'm going wrong? anyone have any ideas? I do have hypothyroidism but I've had it since I was about 8 and am medicated.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    • Are you weighing things accurately? i.e. using g instead of cups
    • How are you obtaining your calorie burns? MFP, machines or HRM?

Open your diary too OP.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Often times when you start lifting you will retain water/glycogen to help repair the muscles....this goes away in 4-6 weeks usually.

The only question I have with your logging is do you choose correct entries???? are there confirmations? usda entries?

As well your macros do seem a bit off...

Protein typically is 0.8 grams per each pound, 0.35 grams of fat and the rest carbs.

Which translates to 35/35/30...protein, fat, carbs...unless your carbs are low due to your hypothyroidism.
  • dogcatac
    dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't add in exercise because I read that it was already included when you figure out your tdee. I use a scale to weight everything. is there a way to open the diary w/o making my profile public?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »
    I don't add in exercise because I read that it was already included when you figure out your tdee. I use a scale to weight everything. is there a way to open the diary w/o making my profile public?

Yes diary settings/open to public...
  • dogcatac
    Options
    oh wow looking through diary I realized I didn't stop logging exercise until like june 1 so maybe that's the issue. i'm scared to open my diary lol but it was very high fat and like no carbs up until the end of may when I switch to iifym. now eating mostly salad and salmon. would it be reasonable to shoot for around 1600 to account for human error?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    oh wow looking through diary I realized I didn't stop logging exercise until like june 1 so maybe that's the issue. i'm scared to open my diary lol but it was very high fat and like no carbs up until the end of may when I switch to iifym. now eating mostly salad and salmon. would it be reasonable to shoot for around 1600 to account for human error?

If you just recently switched from Keto and started weight lifting it is nothing to worry about...glycogen stores...give it a little time to go away...about 4 weeks...breath easy.

Just keep logging accurately and consistently...

and Yes 5lbs of water/glycogen stores are possible..been there done that.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    aw, thanks, that makes me feel better. I was pulling my hair out and troubleshooting.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    also wondering, with keto I wasn't worrying about sodium, but now that i'm eating just a balanced diet should I be more concerned? I go over the mfp recommended limit often. my blood pressure is normal/good
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Stef does a really good job with helping people with their logging. There's no judgement. It's really not about looking at what you are eating but how you are logging it and how you are measuring portion sizes. A lot of the items in the database are user entered and you have to be careful to make sure to use the right one.

If you don't feel comfortable opening your diary, I highly recommend that you read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When someone opens their diary for help, most people focus on correct serving sizes, grams cups etc and macros. Actual food is often secondary.
    Nobody should judge your food choices.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    also wondering, with keto I wasn't worrying about sodium, but now that i'm eating just a balanced diet should I be more concerned? I go over the mfp recommended limit often. my blood pressure is normal/good

Unless you have medical reason, sodium is fine. Just drink more water on the really high days.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    it's kind of just a personal anxiety. a stranger knowing everything i have eaten for the past 50 days even if they are not judging but i do understand that you can't help me out more if i am not willing to do that.
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    Stef does a really good job with helping people with their logging. There's no judgement. It's really not about looking at what you are eating but how you are logging it and how you are measuring portion sizes. A lot of the items in the database are user entered and you have to be careful to make sure to use the right one.

If you don't feel comfortable opening your diary, I highly recommend that you read this:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide/p1

wow, this was really great, thanks. normally when i don't know the brand of something i just look for "generic" and i didn't even think about how inconsistent that could be. is there an advantage to using g rather than oz? i have used oz my whole life and just cant hang with g. i normally cook about 90% of my food myself so this could definitely be the problem. i'm also concerned about possibly miscalculating my tdee? it is hard for me to gauge my own activity level so I normally choose "moderately active", but some days are more active than others..
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't go by TDEE because my activity isn't consistent from day to day, too much room for error.

I use mfp's NEAT method and have it synced with my fitbit. Takes the guess work out of it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    it's kind of just a personal anxiety. a stranger knowing everything i have eaten for the past 50 days even if they are not judging but i do understand that you can't help me out more if i am not willing to do that.

Don't worry about that. Stef pretty much nailed it with the water retention and a reminder to watch logging.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    thank you all for your help. i feel like i have isolated the problem and will go from here. what a great little community you have here!