Weeds

Options
I've been spending money on part-time teenage gardners, weed-killers that work for a day or two, and it finally occurred to me: Why not pull the weeds myself and get some exercise? So I bought some garden gloves, a few weed cutting tools, and have been having a blast. What I can pull, I do, what I can't, I chop. I have a couple of large buckets that I put the remains in. My doxie loves running around outside with me while I'm doing it, but I never do more than ten or fifteen minutes at a time. But if I do it every day, my yard will be beautiful (or at least, better than it looks now) and it's a LOT of work, which burns a LOT of calories!

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    inb4 gardening isn't exercise
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Inb4 everything burns calories
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

QFT!
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    what is up with all the abbreviations what do they mean?? :open_mouth:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    good job
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    what is up with all the abbreviations what do they mean?? :open_mouth:

QFT means quoted for truth.

inb4 means in before
  • mccindy72
    Options
    moving burns calories. As long as a person isn't sitting on his or her butt, that person is burning some calories. We could get into the semantics of raising the heart rate above 120, etc, etc. but why? If a person is moving, and working, I applaud her (or him) for the effort.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    moving burns calories. As long as a person isn't sitting on his or her butt, that person is burning some calories. We could get into the semantics of raising the heart rate above 120, etc, etc. but why? If a person is moving, and working, I applaud her (or him) for the effort.

People burn calories while sitting on their butts, too.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I think gardening is a LOT of work (plus I hate it, so I should get extra credit).
  • mccindy72
    Options

Above BMR, thank you, is what I meant.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I think gardening is a LOT of work (plus I hate it, so I should get extra credit).
    I love it, so are my calories spent worth less? ;)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

QFT!

Agreed.

In before.......

:D
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I have a BodyMedia Fit and can easily burn 300 an hour gardening. Anyone who says gardening isn't exercise needs to spend 3 hours spreading mulch and experience the muscle soreness the next day before you say it's not exercise.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

People burn calories while they are in a coma, too.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    inb4 inb4

2late
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    You, then, have never gardened.

I have a BodyMedia Fit and can easily burn 300 an hour gardening. Spend 3 hours spreading mulch and experience the muscle soreness the next day before you say it's not exercise.

• Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    I love it, so are my calories spent worth less? ;)
    YES...snort
  • SLLRunner
    Options

It is a lot of work, and burns sweat and gets your heart rate up (at least mine, since I love gardening and get very excited when doing it).

• SLLRunner
    Options

I have a BodyMedia Fit and can easily burn 300 an hour gardening. Spend 3 hours spreading mulch and experience the muscle soreness the next day before you say it's not exercise.

I think Zyxst is waiting for someone to say it is not exercise.... :)
  • mccindy72
    Options

that was her point.... that it is, and that someone would say it isn't.