Why can't I poop?!

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    When I first started tracking calories, I had the damndest time. I strained so much it gave me headaches and I had to abort the mission. I'm sorry I don't have anything to add (black coffee fixed me, but you already drink coffee), but I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
  • geckospot
    geckospot Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Go slow adding magnesium. Too much and you'll rocket off the toilet, but it's a great addition and also helps relieve leg cramps/restless legs.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    lol maybe you should just eat a big mac and do some spring cleaning :)
    Even better; sugar-free haribo gummies. Dun dun dunnn.

Best idea ever.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    share your diary maybe might help
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    A couple tablespoons of any fat you have (butter, olive oil, . . )
    Magnesium Oxide.
    Or ask your pharmacist for something over the counter.
  • ddrhellbunny
    ddrhellbunny Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    seriously, if you can't go, get smooth move tea. It freaking WORKS.

Drink it before sleep and make sure you don't have anywhere to go for a few hours... it uh (TMI) liquifies everything and yeah, you have to go 5 ot 6 times, but it will clear everything out. Mild cramping before you have to go, but it's not that bad. It subsides after everything clears out.

I use it when I can't go for a few days and makes my stomach uncomfortable, gives massive relief.
  • Superwitty34
    Superwitty34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It seems like you're not getting enough fiber. Maybe try having a high fiber cereal like All-Bran for breakfast.
  • Mccmack
    Mccmack Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Magnesium works for me. Spinach is a good source of magnesium and it makes me go. Magnesium tablets are a potent laxative in my system.
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in taking medicine from a doctor at all.

did you mean regarding this particular issue, or just in general at any time?
  • AmyCKay
    AmyCKay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Magnesium is great for that!
    Magnesium Citrate has a laxative effect and Magnesium Oxide has stool softening properties.
    If you take too much iron it can get you constipated; so can taking a calcium without magnesium or in the wrong ratio.
    Hope this helps.

Great link:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/17/magnesium-benefits.aspx
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Try flax seeds / linseed , chia seeds , linseed and soy bread , pronutro cereal with prunes , lots of extra water, at TOM some peoples gut slows no mater what . Also try jogging / running a few miles this with lots of fibre can be very effective , if you run outside know where the loo can be found
  • rachael00679
    rachael00679 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Red bull and 30 minutes... You won't have a problem after that
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    feedfeedfoodfood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    seriously, if you can't go, get smooth move tea. It freaking WORKS.

Drink it before sleep and make sure you don't have anywhere to go for a few hours... it uh (TMI) liquifies everything and yeah, you have to go 5 ot 6 times, but it will clear everything out. Mild cramping before you have to go, but it's not that bad. It subsides after everything clears out.

I use it when I can't go for a few days and makes my stomach uncomfortable, gives massive relief.

This sounds like what I need. I will definitely look it up. I'm overseas and hopefully it ships here. Thanks!
  • feedfeedfoodfood
    feedfeedfoodfood Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AmyCKay wrote: »
    Magnesium Citrate has a laxative effect and Magnesium Oxide has stool softening properties.
    If you take too much iron it can get you constipated; so can taking a calcium without magnesium or in the wrong ratio.
    Hope this helps.

Great link:
    http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/17/magnesium-benefits.aspx

Thank you! I will certainly read through this and test it out!
  • UnLtd_Lou
    UnLtd_Lou Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Magnesium citrate.

Can you or anyone tell me about your experience with this? I read it on another site and got some mixed reviews, most being positive.

Magnesium citrate will definitely work, but it seems a bit extreme for your circumstances. I had to resort to it twice when 7 days utterly immobile, crappy eating law school study sessions led to acutely painful constipation that I didn't notice until the problem was too far gone for gentler methods. I don't know how well it would work for more chronic issues, for me it was always a one-time cure for bad habits and I got back to eating /moving healthy afterwards.

I'd say try some of the moderate solutions suggested here before home to mag citrate. And reserve a day at home by the toilet with a tub of aquaphor if you do get to that point!
  • discretekim
    discretekim Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree fiber could be to blame. Try to add whole grains and beans
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cant' see your diary to confirm about fiber or fat- but odds are your fat content is to low.

Go to five guys and then go for a walk. You'll be ready to go in no time.
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Add fiber. Kind almonds bars help me
  • Urban_Princess
    Urban_Princess Posts: 219 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    gosh i'm having this problem right now..it's been 4 days.... thanks everyone for the insight..i have a weigh-in tomorrow and i kinda want to drop the pounds that don't actually count if you know what i mean.

I was very close to grabbing some metamucil but that's a soluble fiber...i definitely need insoluble. Also, I have noticed that my coffee intake has dropped considerably. I used to have 4-5 cups a day..now it is once every few days for no real reason aside from upping my green tea and water consumption. Maybe I'll have a few cups to see if that helps
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    AmyCKay wrote: »
    Hope this helps.

Great link:

Hope that is the rare Mercola article that doesn't have the same full of crap problem OP has.