Newlywed Weight Gain? Anyone Else? No? Just Me?

Options
Hello!
I got married last August, and whoa...anyone else experience newlywed weight gain? It's happening to my husband too..heh. Both full time students, working two jobs. I want to stop this before it gets out of control!

How did you get yourself (and/or your spouse) motivated and back into shape?

-Michelle J.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I chocked on almost 20kg/40lbs in the 7 months after I got married, how bad is that?? I've lost 24kg of it now (just had our second anniversary), and am finally chipping away at the weight I already needed to lose when I got married :)

Can't really say what got me motivated, aside from a horrific picture taken by a friend, and the sadness of not fitting my wedding dress, less than a year after the wedding :)
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm not married but when my life partner and I moved in together we both gained. We print out calendars and put them on the fridge and on the calendar we keep track of our health goals. This month his is running 100 miles, this month mine is going to the gym a certain number of times and tracking how many miles I run around the block.

As we lose weight, we make more challenging goals each month. It's fun and motivating and always in my face since it's on the fridge. We almost have 1 year of goal calendars so far!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both gained weight immediately after getting married almost 6 years ago. I gained at least 15 pounds, which for me is a lot.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I gained about 40 pounds within the first couple years that my husband and I were married. It even says on my profile "ready to get rid of my 'happily married weight.'" :)

A couple of "sheesh, I've gained a lot of weight" moments got me motivated, and here I am. I started reading the forums and learning some things about nutrition and fitness, and it's been helpful.

Good luck!
  • evsy10
    evsy10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I got married four weeks ago and I've put on a few pounds! It's a big of a downer as i want to try look as good for the honeymoon!

I'm glad other people have suffered this as i don't feel so bad! but i wonder if it's down to having all the stress (even if it's hidden stress) and once the wedding is done everything is lifted.....i'm trying to find as many excuses as possible to make myself feel a little better.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I gained 5 or 10 kilos when I first got married.

I blame it on the fact that my husband would cook our meals and serve me "man-sized" meals and I didn't want to be "rude" and leave any on the plate.

I still remember having to tell him one day not to serve me so much food.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Yes. Didn't wait to get married to do it. My Fiancé and I both struggle. Overeating comfort foods and deserts and stress. I like to cook. Thankfully we both diet together. We talk about it a lot. I think we both contribute to each other's issues... I like to have dessert nearly every night and he likes pub foods.
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs before my August wedding.

Gained it back plus 10 more to keep those company!