Ok! time to buckle down and cut some carbs for the home stretch! Need some suggestions.

librarydebster
librarydebster Posts: 177 Member
edited June 2015 in Food and Nutrition
After my initial loss last year of 60 pounds I am maintaining my loss but I have 30 more pounds of fat I need to lose. Mostly in the stomach and upper thighs. If anyone has had experience in cutting carbs to lose the last 30 pounds what ratio of foods did u eat?

I have type 2 diabetes which I have been controlling very well strictly with diet and regular exercise.

I may have to stop eating my shredded wheat and bran or shreddies or bran buds in the morning. My goal is to eat 5 fruits and veggies a day. I come close to that now. I cycle and hike and have started jogging because I enjoy it but my carb addiction is keeping me from losing more. I'm eating a little too much to balance out. I'm 58 years old. I have kettlebell weights and I need to start using them regularly.

Replies

• librarydebster
    edited June 2015
    If anyone has training in exercise and nutrition I would especially appreciate your advice.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    You don't need to cut out any food, just eat the appropriate amount of calories.
  • librarydebster
    I have my calories set at 1450. I don't believe that going any lower is good so I am thinking that I need to decrease my bread and cereal group. And too many indulgences from timmies.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I would make sure I was hitting my protein and fats macros (at a minimum) then filling the rest of my calories with carbs. I get most of my carbs from vegies, and some fruit... Mostly because I love food and it's a way to get more volume, and I think they're delicious :) if you want to include your cereal, make it fit!
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited June 2015
    I have my calories set at 1450. I don't believe that going any lower is good so I am thinking that I need to decrease my bread and cereal group. And too many indulgences from timmies.

Lowering any food group won't do anything. Cals in vs. cals out.
    However if you are eating out a lot, the restaurant's cal estimates aren't necessarily accurate, they don't weigh things with a scale for each ingredient. They may list 1 tbsp of butter on the cal count, but the person putting it on your bagel may but on 1.5 tbsp of butter which is like an extra 50 cals. Stuff like that can add up depending on how often you eat out.
  • librarydebster
    True. And I think the phone app sports trackers may overestimate the amount burned for an activity even if your weight is entered.
  • librarydebster
    Good point. I should take a look at my protein intake and see if it's enough.