Do You Pay Attention To Sodium and Sugar Intake?

Options
I went over my sodium intake and sugar a bunch of times but not much of it is from processed foods. I've cut out some foods that I know were high in sodium but I'm still a little concerned. Because I bike to both of my jobs I burn a lot of calories, but i always feel guilty eating because I start going over my Sodium and Sugar intake even though it's mostly fruits, lean proteins, and veggies.

Are the levels for Sugar and Sodium low for daily intake or am I not eating correctly?

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Do you have high blood pressure? If no to both... Don't sweat sugar or sodium. If you are then talk to your Dr or nutritionist.
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic? Do you have high blood pressure? If no to both... Don't sweat sugar or sodium. If you are then talk to your Dr or nutritionist.
    Nope, neither! Thank you for putting my mind at ease!
  • Caitu13
    Caitu13 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm always going over my sugar. I eat a lot of fruit, and I'll be honest, I use creamer every morning. Not great for you but thats what I do.
  • TheSmartPcGuy
    TheSmartPcGuy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am dieting to reduce my blood pressure. I am about 20 lbs above my desired weight and find that when I do not regulate sodium (like today), my blood pressure is elevated. I recently gave a kidney to a friend and as such have been more aware of things that high blood pressure are BAD for.

So, yes. Not consuming too much sodium in your diet is probably a good thing. I am guessing that the older you get, the worse it probably is for you (I am 52).

I don't watch or regulate my sugar intake as much. I think that if you are not too sedentary, and it sounds like you are NOT, that you will burn through the extra energy from sugars pretty quick.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I watch sodium because I have kidney problems from too much of it. Sugar is of no importance to me.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    No and no.
  • Laurenmp16
    Laurenmp16 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar because it's all from my fruit, but sodium I do watch - not because it's that terrible to go over every now and then but if I consistently have too much sodium for a week or so, I put on weight. My body will start chronically holding onto water weight.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Like everyone commented, I watch my sodium more than sugar (most of which comes from fruit). Sodium to me means excessive water retention and upward mobility on the scale. Regardless of how old you are, I think one should pay particular attention to sodium intake.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I don't have diabetes or high blood pressure, so I don't bother tracking sugar and sodium.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I was curious how you could end up with high sodium and few processed foods so I took a peek at your diary, and much of your sodium is coming from what would usually be considered processed foods (lunchmeat, crackers, packaged meals, fast food, pizza, etc).

I know there are a number of pretty vocal MFP advocates of "sodium does not matter", but I don't agree. To me high sodium is a clear sign that I am having too much processed/less nutritious food, and I struggle with keeping the number down.

Sugar I haven't even tackled yet, that is a mountain I am not ready to climb at this point.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I watch exercise and total calories, that's it. I'm always over on sugar, usually on fat and protein too. Doesn't bother me at all.
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about the other responses, but I would say if you live an active life, neither of these should be a concern. Sugar is fuel, and sodium is the transport of that fuel. Though if you believe you are eating way too much of either, then it becomes a matter of if you've set your allotments correctly, matched against your exercise expenditure.
  • jocelyne17
    jocelyne17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you for looking at my diary! I have a few friends who have lost weight and they won't look at my diary and keep giving me vague advice!

Yes, I figured out that was the culprit a few days ago when I added Turkey Pepperoni as a snack but saw how high the sodium was.
    I tend to eat such things in a pinch but I'm trying to cut those items out. Particularly today because it was especially hot here in Texas and I was biking all over so in my fatigue I didn't eat my prepared meals!

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me! I appreciate it!
  • MarkyMark_
    MarkyMark_ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have started to keep my sodium and sugar levels within the limits and have seen the scales heading south. I used to eat a lot of brown bread, fruits and nuts thinking they were healthy, well they are in the right portions! I found I was getting excess sugars from the hidden sugars in the brand of bread I was using and the tangerines were very high in sugars also. Excess sodium and carbs were coming from the amount of nuts I was eating for my weekend treats, the sodium caused water retention.

:smile:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nope and nope. I watch calories, try to hit my protein and fat, then wing the rest.
  • FindingMyself24
    FindingMyself24 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I try to...but thats just for myself...i try to stay away from as much processed stuff as possible...but i do eat it sometimes...now sugar is usually from fruits so i usually dont worry about it...but i try to keep the sodium down...but this is just what works for me =)
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I pay attention to sodium, but mainly because I have low blood pressure and on days I workout I need to keep my sodium intake up closer to the mfp requirement or else I'll pass out :p A lot people also watch their sodium because it helps prevent water retention. As far as sugar, I don't pay attention unless it's from sugary foods... Having just a few pieces of candy will give me a pretty severe migraine so I've been trying to avoid it in general, but I don't always succeed lol like last night for instance :p
  • godds6
    godds6 Posts: 22
    Options
    I struggle with the sodium and sugar... I'm trying to keep down my processed foods... I totally jacked it up today and had ramen noodles for lunch because they sounded good! LOL I struggle with sugar the most, I have a sweet tooth. I know if I eat too much sodium I retain water weight..
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Nope
  • genofreek
    genofreek Posts: 75
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar because it's all from my fruit, but sodium I do watch - not because it's that terrible to go over every now and then but if I consistently have too much sodium for a week or so, I put on weight. My body will start chronically holding onto water weight.

Agreed! I have a much easier time with weight loss if I watch my sodium, so I keep it on there. Sugars, though... I don't know how people can stay under on sugar.