Calorie count

Options
how do I determine how many calories I should be eating?

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Hi!

If you enter your current stats into MFP and set an achievable weight loss goal per week, it will give you a calorie allowance. :)
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Trial and error is the best way to find out what is right for you. What I do and what I recommend to people is to eat at a calorie level that allows you to make good progress towards your goal. If you are trying to lose weight, eat so you drop 1-2 lbs/week. This assumes an average calorie burn from you getting in all of your workouts. This will be different for everyone, so you'll have to do some trial and error to figure it out. I'd start ~1600 cal/day. Hit this goal, along with your macros and getting in your workouts, for 2 weeks. If you lose 1-2 lbs/week, you're good to go. If you lose too much, increase your intake and repeat. If you don't lose enough, reduce your intake a bit and repeat. After a few cycles, you'll figure out what works for you in your situation.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    You enter all your stats and goals in and MFP will figure it for you.
  • ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've found the best way is to use a TDEE calculator (http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html) and take the number it gives you, and eat about 80% of that (multiply it by .8, and that's your calories). It's not a perfect system, but sometimes the numbers MFP gives you can be a little off and less sustainable.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    2 options:

1. Enter your stats in MFP it will give you an estimate BEFORE exercise. Then you eat those calories + earned exercise* .....just be careful because estimates are generous

2. Enter your stats here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    This will include exercise. Then take a cut from this number....500 calories for 1 pound a week, 750 calories for 1.5 pounds a week. This is a great option if exercise will be your regular thing.

Differences in the 2 are .....pounds per week choices and exercise included...not included.