DOMs support thread

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,514 Member
I usually don't have much problems with DOMs unless I stop working out for 3 weeks or more for whatever reason. So I didn't expect any DOMs after yesterday's workout. Man, was I wrong! I did a kettlebell circuit workout and realize today that I dearly neglected my lower back and upper butt muscles. It's still early day and I already cannot move anymore. Things will look very dire tonight. :s

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Get them moving again. You'll be right
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I really need this thread today, I've just come off the back of 3 days hard manual work and I am in agony. Even the muscles in my hands have DOMS :'(
    I normally do a 10k run on my days off but I'm so sore I'm sat here being a couch potato crying every time I move. I really need to woman up and just get moving!
    You really have my sympathy.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No sympathy for DOMS in my house from me.... I don't get it no matter how hard I train. We've tried to kill me in training so many ways.... Nothing!
  • yirara
    Options
    I really need this thread today, I've just come off the back of 3 days hard manual work and I am in agony. Even the muscles in my hands have DOMS :'(
    I normally do a 10k run on my days off but I'm so sore I'm sat here being a couch potato crying every time I move. I really need to woman up and just get moving!
    You really have my sympathy.

Poor you! DOMs in your hands is special! I've never managed that (though I did manage underneath my feet recently). I saw some documentary on what really helps for muscle recovery, and the result was that either hot or cold helps just a bit better than doing nothing. So I think I might take a hot bath in a moment - if I manage to get in and out again.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    After my gym trainer set me up with my new programme, I had killer DOMS in my quads for about 4 days after from the squats and lunges. I couldn't sit down without supporting myself! Been steadily increase the weight I use on both and have not had them nearly so bad since. I am getting a new programme next week though so am expecting to get thoroughly beasted again.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I have been a DOMs sufferer since I started Ct5K over 2 years ago. Once they hit the best advice I can give is to keep it moving - don't seize up! Do some gentle stretching and walk slow and steady as much as you can. The advice I was given was to make sure you get your protein in for the whole day of your workout- at the very least post workout and before bed (when your body does it's recovering) but ideally every day. There is some debate about whether there is a optimal time to take protein (eg within 30mins post workout) Personally I have found the benefit in one shake post workout and one before bed works best for me.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I did an hour long fitnessblender workout on Sunday and I've got DOMS in my forearms. My Forearms! I don't even know how. I went for a walk this morning which helped a lot with the rest of my body but I don't know what I can do to help my arms.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    No sympathy for DOMS in my house from me.... I don't get it no matter how hard I train. We've tried to kill me in training so many ways.... Nothing!
    Same with me. I did upper body superset yesterday. By last two reps I could barely lift my arm. I was so sure I was in for doms today,but nothing! Sometimes it makes me wonder if I should bump up my weights.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I almost always gets DOMS...especially if I do squats and lunges (or kettle bell swings!). I frequently go running at the height of DOMS and that seems to help a bit.
  • yirara
    Options
    Well.. I took a very hot bath now, and the DOMs are less pronounced. I tend to believe that it worked.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get DOMS but I took last week off from squatting. I squatted yesterday morning and my DOMS are insane right now.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Get yourself a foam roller if you don't already have one. Roll them out, and believe it or not the exercise that caused them can help to get rid of them as well. I used to get DOMs from squats all the time, I upped frequency and typically don't get them much anymore with exception in my hammies a little bit, but when I did get them I would go in and do some light squats the following day and that would help a little bit.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Get yourself a foam roller if you don't already have one. Roll them out, and believe it or not the exercise that caused them can help to get rid of them as well. I used to get DOMs from squats all the time, I upped frequency and typically don't get them much anymore with exception in my hammies a little bit, but when I did get them I would go in and do some light squats the following day and that would help a little bit.

I got a foam roller to use on my calves when I took up running again earlier this year. Didn't have DOMS so much as some horrid knots that hurt like hell to roll but it really did help. Used it on my shins as well when I got pain there. Only need to use it about once per week now.
  • yirara
    Options
    Ouch! The sore muscles left and right of my spine are fine again but now it's the deeper muscles around there that give me troubles. Without removing a few ribs I double a blackroll would do much good there.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I don't think the roller will reach there lol! I'm a bit more comfortable this morning so I'm going to try to run it off. I hope yours clears up soon :)
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I hadn't worked out for the past 2 weeks, due to having an operation, then recovering from said operation and then falling ill! Went back to working out properly on Monday and the DOMs are still there. I dread going up the stairs all the time! I may use my brother's foam roller or walk around the house.
  • yirara
    Options
    I don't think the roller will reach there lol! I'm a bit more comfortable this morning so I'm going to try to run it off. I hope yours clears up soon :)

I should probably not do that too often, but I took a 200mg ibuprofen yesterday evening and went for a run. Now I'm arguying with myself if I should do a circuit workout just now. I don't have much to do anyway at the moment, though moving around especially after sitting still doesn't quite work.
  • yirara
    Options
    addition: yes, not a good idea to work out! Lots of kettlebell squats today where you move the weight to the side when in the upper position. Ouch! And quite some other exercises with a decent amount of lower back involvement :'(
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Oh uhm though DOM in a different context. Anyway, I'm the same. I train pretty hard and I never get DOM. I can feel that I worked my *kitten* off but at worst it is a little discomfort.
  • yirara
    Options
    Oh great! Did core workout yesterday and expected a bit of DOMs there, but instead my thighs are starting to make themselves heard. :o Funny.