Mental/psychological block?

Options
Is it possible to have a mental or psychological block to losing weight? I think deep down in the hidden part of my brain I don't want to lose weight, but I don't know why. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you overcome it?

(Please don't suggest counselling or therapy. It isn't an option for me.)

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose weight, don't lose weight.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    For awhile I was scared too. Scared of the attention that I would get slimmer (I've never been slim) therapy helped me but this was the basic mental talk through.

Why did I fear the attention?

1. I'm introverted IRL and having ppl comment on my changing body is really stressful. Solution: get more alone time to recharge. I eat lunch alone, go for walks alone, etc. I upped my "me" time and the body-themed social interactions became far less stressful.

2. I was scared of male attention. Solution: I had to dig for this one, cause it's not a bad thing, and hell, I'm married! It was a merger of two things. The first being that introvert thing again (I'm not being coy, leave me alone!) but the second was deeper my parents put the fear of men in me when I hit puberty. Men only wanted one thing, showing off my body was wrong, being sexy or attractive was practically inviting unwanted attention (feel free to read within the lines). Oh yeah the solution, honestly it's a work in process. Now that I know where that fear comes from I can shoot it down if it creeps up on me.

3. A bit different, but I feared failure. Failure meant mockery, easier not to try. Solution: same as above, push through, if someone mocks that's just them being uncomfortable because you are doing what they can't. My mom continues making snide remarks about my body (she says nice things too, parents aren't evil, just misguided!) but I've realized that's her problem, not mine and I no longer react.

Sorry that was rambly. Good luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Your body doesn't care what your mental state is; if you eat under your caloric maintenance, you WILL lose weight
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If you truly want something, you'll do it. When your ready to commit , you will .
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    If you truly want something, you'll do it. When your ready to commit , you will .

Pretty much this.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No one here can tell you why YOU don't want to lose weight. You're going to have to figure that out for yourself. And yes, counselling/therapy is the best way to do it. (You may want to looking into support groups/group therapy/therapists who adjust their pricing based on income and insurance.)
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    @crazyjerseygirl, that was a really thoughtful response.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    @crazyjerseygirl, that was a really thoughtful response.

Ha, thanks! I think the psychological reasons why ppl get fat to begin with are fascinating. Some ppl just put on weight after a desk job and that's pretty normal, but I gained all of mine between 9-12. Went from a skinny kid to a fat teenager. Once I connected it to some old ideas that male attention (because it's the gender in attracted to btw) was bad and sex was sinful I realized that I stopped doing so many things. I stopped dancing, stopped playing with other kids, I used the fat to hide and keep "safe" from social interactions. That *kitten* can stick with you longer than some ppl realize
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to succeed! My personal experience/mental block is self-sabotage where I avoid a certain degree of success. Once I reach a new weight or achieve a new goal, I realize it'll take as much work to maintain as it was to get there, so I'm found myself sabotaging my efforts to not have to face the new future--which will be a lifetime of commitment and hard work.

Fortunately, now that I've learned this, I'm trying to use it as a tool to overcome this type of behavior.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i was scared I would fail and just be fat and keep getting fatter

finally I hit a number on the scale I didn't want and I knew I didn't feel right being fat. so I started moving more, and that wasn't enough so I started here, started tracking food and calories and started running.
    plateaus and delicious special event foods happen but in general I am succeeding and plan to keep going.