Recommend a lifting program other than Stronglifts 5X5?

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
I have started and quit Stronglifts 5x5 3 times now in two years. I'm down 60 pounds in that time from a modest calorie deficit and of course have lost a lot of muscle on the way. I need to lift but I have to find a program that works better for me mentally. I have the equipment and lift alone at home.

I like the simplicity of Stronglifts and like progressing easily at the beginning, then thinking I won't make it, but I DO for awhile. Then I hit the point where I am failing almost every session and I lose the mental willpower to keep going. Having to fail, deload, reload etc for 4 or 6 sessions just to pick up the next weight beats me up mentally.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I have started and quit Stronglifts 5x5 3 times now in two years. I'm down 60 pounds in that time from a modest calorie deficit and of course have lost a lot of muscle on the way. I need to lift but I have to find a program that works better for me mentally. I have the equipment and lift alone at home.

I like the simplicity of Stronglifts and like progressing easily at the beginning, then thinking I won't make it, but I DO for awhile. Then I hit the point where I am failing almost every session and I lose the mental willpower to keep going. Having to fail, deload, reload etc for 4 or 6 sessions just to pick up the next weight beats me up mentally.

Any recommendations?

Look up "All-Pros Beginner Routine" on teh googlez.

It should bring you to a bodybuilding.com thread that explains the routine.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    starting strenght and new rules of lifting are also options…

OP - if you can't stick with strong lifts why do you think you can stick to a different program? Just throwing that out there as something you may want to consider.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

OP - if you can't stick with strong lifts why do you think you can stick to a different program? Just throwing that out there as something you may want to consider.

Maybe I can't but I feel like I have to try. It's the point of constant failure while eating at a deficit that gets me.

• SideSteel
    Options

I'm interested in hearing this as well however I've experienced with some people that SL and SS can get very overwhelming from an anxiety standpoint because you end up hitting a wall quite fast due to the progression rate. The reason I suggested All-Pro's is that it has a slower rate of progression in that you're building reps first over the course of 5 weeks, followed by a weight increase.

So you basically get a longer period of time before the actual weight on the bar goes up, whereas in SL/SS it goes up immediately and it can be pretty intimidating and also discouraging.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use SL 5x5 because it is the one I can stay with -- I also have started and stopped several times and deloaded several times as well but it does work so I keep with it.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I'm interested in hearing this as well however I've experienced with some people that SL and SS can get very overwhelming from an anxiety standpoint because you end up hitting a wall quite fast due to the progression rate. The reason I suggested All-Pro's is that it has a slower rate of progression in that you're building reps first over the course of 5 weeks, followed by a weight increase.

So you basically get a longer period of time before the actual weight on the bar goes up, whereas in SL/SS it goes up immediately and it can be pretty intimidating and also discouraging.

I would always defer to your advice brother, I was just tossing starting strength and new rules out there as options….

I never ran starting strength, but I can see how that would be frustrating, i.e. lack of progression; however, if it was me, i would stick with it until I broke through the plateau...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Maybe I can't but I feel like I have to try. It's the point of constant failure while eating at a deficit that gets me.

how long have you been eating at a deficit for?

• 257_Lag
    Options

Any recommendations?

Look up "All-Pros Beginner Routine" on teh googlez.

It should bring you to a bodybuilding.com thread that explains the routine.

I like the looks of that. Working lighter loads on the 2nd and 3rd days might be good for me. Thanks
  • SideSteel
    Options

I would always defer to your advice brother, I was just tossing starting strength and new rules out there as options….

I never ran starting strength, but I can see how that would be frustrating, i.e. lack of progression; however, if it was me, i would stick with it until I broke through the plateau...

Yeah on paper that's certainly the advice that makes sense. Run SL or SS and just follow the guidelines until you repeatedly stall at a given load/etc, but some people get anxiety from constantly pushing loads that are right at their 5rm or higher and then when you think about setting up positive feedback loops within the program, repeatedly failing can also take it's toll mentally.

I tend to take a hybrid approach myself in that I'll have some people squat in a variety of rep ranges and progressions so for example you'll have a 5x5 day, a 3-4x8-12 day, and then a day in between that's more like a recovery type of session where they might be squatting around 6x3 or so but at lower relative intensity so it's just not as much of a grind. Then you progress them at differing rates so that even if one day starts to get heavy over weeks, they're not ever hitting failure day in and day out.
  • 257_Lag
    Options

28 months. Obviously not perfect since I am only down 60. I've had plenty of stalls but haven't gone up at all.

Maybe it's time to consider going up on purpose but I was hoping to get to the top end of a healthy range before doing that. That would be 185 and I am at 197 now.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

28 months. Obviously not perfect since I am only down 60. I've had plenty of stalls but haven't gone up at all.

Maybe it's time to consider going up on purpose but I was hoping to get to the top end of a healthy range before doing that. That would be 185 and I am at 197 now.

Maybe a diet break would help
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Hey, this is me to a "T", well almost. I have been at it since Sept 2013 and am down 50 lbs. I did SL that entire time and I stopped 6 months ago. I became complacent at 185 and decided I wanted to be lazy. I still ate a deficit but lost muscle mass. A week ago I decided no more and I would get back into it. I wouldn't go as long as I did if I were you but I would take a little break from lifting. Just a couple weeks maybe. It sounds like your muscles are worn and need a vacation. Some people report coming back from a break much stronger than when they left. I didn't, of course, because 6 months was too long, however, when I would take a week or two off, I would come back stronger than ever. I still love SL because I find it's the least confusing of all the routines I've read up on. :smile:
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/ They review several different programs and list out the pros and cons of each and give you a starting point. I found the Juggernaut Method on there that is currently working well for me. I plan to try a round of 5/3/1 next.
  • 257_Lag
    Options
    Check out this site: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-programs/ They review several different programs and list out the pros and cons of each and give you a starting point. I found the Juggernaut Method on there that is currently working well for me. I plan to try a round of 5/3/1 next.

Wow, lots of interesting information there! Thanks
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    There is a 531 beginner program. Here's a calculator that you can use to see how it would look for you. You can check out a bunch of other variations of 531 there too.

I like Wendler's programming because of the slow steady progress. If you decide to go with it, I would highly recommend reading his books.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I would suggest a refeed day and also a diet break where you eat at maintenance for a week. This may have been why you had issues with strong lifts...

I would be curious as to @SideSteel opinion on this...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

I would suggest a refeed day and also a diet break where you eat at maintenance for a week. This may have been why you had issues with strong lifts...

I would be curious as to @SideSteel opinion on this...

Hey, that's what I said! =P
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, OP. I know how frustrating the lack of progress is.

--Fractional plates help. At a certain point it gets unreasonable to increase 5 lbs every workout. Especially on a deficit. Double especially on upper body lifts. Upping weight by only a half a pound a workout might not seem like much, but progress is progress and little weight increases add up, and they're alot less daunting mentally.

--Try dropping down to 3x5. At higher weights, 5x5 is ALOT of volume on a deficit.

--I switched to front squats for my Wednesday workout, cause heavy back squats 3x a week (plus deadlifting, urgh) is a bit much to recover from. If you aren't comfortable with front squats, try squatting 70% of your max for your Wednesday/middle workout.

Best of luck! Feel free to add me if you want. :)
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I switched to ICF in May. I was doing SL, but also found that 5x5 at my max 3 times a week on a deficit too exhausting. So I switched to ICF, but with his recommendations for lifting on a cut... 3x5 for main lifts, 2 sets on the accessories.