Can someone help me with Kettlebell Routines...

Options
kmab1985
kmab1985 Posts: 295 Member
Hi All

I've started doing a kettlebell class on a Thursday which I love and want to swap my Tues Spinning class to kettlebells but I'm struggling to decide on what routine to go for, how many reps, which website to choose from etc...

Can any experienced Kettlebellers help me....

Thanks, Kel

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If this is a class, how can you choose what to do? I am confused.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Only the Thurs is a class but I want do incorporate a routine of my own on the Tues...
  • elizabeth0609
    elizabeth0609 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    check out Fitnessblender.com - I am addicted to their workouts - and when it says a workout is brutal it is!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Ask your Thursday instructor what they recommend
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi Kel, a guy at work lent me the kettlercise dvd, I really enjoyed that.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Does your instructor provide training other places? That may be an option. DVDs can be useful, although I haven't tried them myself. I have a Lauren Brooks one to try one day when I can't get to my regular kettlebell training and am told Andrea DuCane is another one to look for. Good luck! I love my kettlebell training.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you want a proper program to follow, then you'd probably be best with something by Pavel.

His latest work is called Simple and Sinister, I believe.

I think his original one was called something like Enter the Kettlebell.

For any program to be worth it's salt, it would have to be progressive. Because KB's are fixed weights with large jumps, then you need to intelligently think about how you are going to massage sets and reps to bridge the gaps between bells. Leave that kind of volumetrically loaded wave to someone who understands the instrument. For my money, that's going to be someone like Pavel.
  • jocey517
    jocey517 Posts: 30 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I do this on my lunch hour workouts so I try to keep my resting to a minimum and alternate muscle groups so I can keep moving:

Warmup (I jog/run for 5 minutes)
    Plank (30-60 seconds)
    Kettle bell swing (I use a 25lb bell here and do 2 hand swing or 20 lb bell with 1 hand swing) - 25-30 reps
    10-12 arm rows using 20 lb kettle bell (keep your back flat and your elbow close to your body)
    Pushups - 10
    Figure 8 (using 20lb bell I swing it between my legs and bring it up to my chest - working your abs - so down through legs, up around to chest where your hand stops the bell - that's one rep, I try to do 14-16 reps)
    10 reps using each arm with a 20 lb bell, squat and swing the bell up to your chest and press up through with your arm
    20- high kicks with squats - no bell here (raise your heart-rate)
    10 single leg deadlift - I worked up to this since it takes a strong core - I use a 20lb bell, standing on one foot you hold the bell and lower it - simultaneously raising the alternate leg up parallel to the floor) - it's great for your hamstrings but it does take a bit of practice, so don't get frustrated - it's definitely a great exercise to work on
    Plank
    If you have a place to walk - I take a 25 lb bell and take large steps, swinging the bell in between my leg on each steps to switch hands
    Tricep pushups on a bench
    20 Back stepping Lunges holding a 20 lb bell up in my arms at my chest - just alternate legs doing back step lunge

Then I repeat this and a good stretch at the end. If your taking a class, you are probably doing most of these in the class - you can also take moves from the class and build your own workout. Hope this helps to give you some ideas:)
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies!

I did try and do my own routine but never feels the same, at lunch time I did:

KB Swings
    KB 8's (where you swing the KB around your legs in a figure 8)
    KB walking lunges
    One armed KB swings
    KB gobblet squats
    all using an 8kg KB

I just felt like I should've done more plus I did feel a little conscious in the Gym and I happened to pick a spot where all the men go to stretch out so was feeling a tad intimidated!

I did get a sweat on though! but because I felt conscious I dont have a clue how many sets or reps I did!

Looking at the above routine would you add anything else?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Do you want the routine to be only KB? This only has one KB move but it's a fun workout. It's simple but effective. I found this online years ago. Their are tons of variations, but this was my go-to for pyramid workouts.

20 KB swings
    20 jump squats
    20 push-ups

Then 19,18,17... Down to 5. The idea is just to keep going. Grab water when you need to but don't take a break unless absolutely necessary. I consider this more of a cardio routine but it is a blast and I am always dripping sweat. You can vary the swing based on what body part you want to hit.
  • kmab1985
    Options
    Yeah just KB workouts, I already do spinning, bodycombat, CXWORX and a kettlebell class on a Thursday but wanted to incorporate my own KB routine in the actual GYM and drop a Spinning class, they dont do bodypump at my new Gym (although I have heard its coming back at the beginning of July) so before I would do KB class once a week and KB class once a week and I really enjoy them both...
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    check out Fitnessblender.com - I am addicted to their workouts - and when it says a workout is brutal it is!

Fitness blender is ok, but the form is so-so, try Lauren Brooks on youtube. I got Iron Core Kettlebell from Amazon for 10 bucks, the instructor is Sarah Lurie, who is an RKC. the first two dvds break down the form/are great for instruction, the last two dvds are workouts.