For all the non believers, Cutting back on junk food matters so much!

Options
124»

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I get the point of these arguments that no food is "junk," I really do, but for the most part I feel like it's a stupid argument over semantics and words. Like someone said above, everybody basically knows what is meant when someone says "junk food." Me, I think of anything full of processed unrefined carbs, excess added sugar, salt, etc. Like donuts, cheetos, doritos, oreos, and muffins that are just cake in disguise, as junk food.

For someone who is 5'2" and stuck trying to keep my consumption at a paltry 1400 net calories, calorie-dense processed "junk" food is just something that doesn't fit into my diet. I'm not saying that I never eat it - in fact, I'm almost NEVER under my calorie goal lately and I pretty much eat some "junk" food at least twice a day - which is probably my biggest problem why I am stuck at my current weight.

When you're supposed to attempt to eat no more than 1400-1700 total calories (because on gym days, I can burn up to 1800 calories total so I can afford to eat more) it's so hard to stick to your goal when you eat even 300 calories of "junk" food. Because that 300 calories is basically an entire meal. And if that 300 calories was, let's say, a donut, it wouldn't even fill me up. Because a donut basically is sugar and fat, and while the fat gives you at least a little bit of satieity (sp?), the sugar pretty much melts into nothing and you still feel hungry. At least, I do.

300 calories of veggies and fruit is yummy, yes, but I'd argue it gives your brain less pleasure than a gooey delicious donut, which is basically like crack to your brain because it's such a sugar rush. That's why it's more tempting to eat the donut instead, because we know how it'll make us feel. I keep digressing. 300 calories of fruits and veggies fills up your stomach a whole lot more than one donut. It's a huge volume of food in comparison. It's got fiber, vitamins, all the good stuff that a donut won't have. So is it vital to my own weight loss that I cut out the "junk" food so that I can be full and satisfied and eat the volume I want while remaining under my calories?
    The answer for me, personally, is YES. I cannot eat "junk" food if I want to lose weight. I am still eating junk food, and I am not losing weight. I'm working out 4-5 times a week at the gym for at least an hour each time, and yet I can't lose weight because I can't control my calories, because I'm still basically binging on bread, ice cream, chocolate, and sugars of some kind every day. It's my own dangmn fault and I know I'm the one to blame for putting it into my mouth, but I can look at my diary every day for the past month and say, "If only I hadn't eaten X, I would have hit my calorie goal that day."

TL/DR: Junk food simply doesn't work for weight loss when you are short and don't have a lot of calories to spare on empty white sugar carbs. Quit bashing people who use the label "junk" food, you freaking know exactly what it means.

who is advocating for 1400 calories of processed foods?

and how are you defining processed? If I get a package of durum linguine is that bad because it is processed? What if it is "lean cuisine" frozen dinner, again is that bad because processed?

The problem is that people want to throw out blanket terms like "processed," "junk food," "sugar is bad," and they never really define what they are talking about.

and why are you setting up a false choice between vegetables and a donut. You can have both and hit your macros/micros/calorie targets and that is "healthy"....

No one, and I mean absolutely no one, is arguing that donuts and vegetables are the same nutritionally.

And please stop with the "donuts please my brain more nonsense" you can get the same brain pleasure from petting a puppy.

I ate the puppy and pet the donut. Now my hands are sticky and the police are knocking at my door. I think I *kitten* up.

I don't think she's talking about a 1400c diet of processed food. She's saying that when she has to net 1400c, it's tough for her to eat hit her goals and be able to work in the junk.

I would personally be very happy if my GF could work in the junk every day.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let people know you CAN do it! The first week you try to cut back it will be hard, but it worth it. In the last 2 weeks I see a huge lose of 17 pounds as I know my body is regulating the water its retaining, and "purging" all the junk from my stomach. You don't need a fancy detox cleanse, or an all protein shake diet to lose it, all you need to do is eat healthy and eat normal meals and your body will bounce back to normal.

You don't need to eat healthy or normal meals to lose weight. I don't know what "purging" means here, but your body doesn't do that. Junk moves into and out of your stomach just like any other food.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I just wanted to let people know you CAN do it! The first week you try to cut back it will be hard, but it worth it. In the last 2 weeks I see a huge lose of 17 pounds as I know my body is regulating the water its retaining, and "purging" all the junk from my stomach. You don't need a fancy detox cleanse, or an all protein shake diet to lose it, all you need to do is eat healthy and eat normal meals and your body will bounce back to normal.

You don't need to eat healthy or normal meals to lose weight. I don't know what "purging" means here, but your body doesn't do that. Junk moves into and out of your stomach just like any other food.

The unpopular usage of the word purging is going on detox and cleanses which are all bogus and never proven.

What I mean purge is that your body will get ride of stuck on, for the lack of a better word *kitten*, by itself, and regulate your water at the same time. Just be in deficit! It words wonders. Listen to your macros and listen to your body. Junk may move into your body like any other food, but at a higher volume. The last 2 pages are good read on what others agree Junk to be. High calorie, low nutrition foods.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!