Can't get rid of the last 6 or 7 pounds!!!

Options
I'm 5'3 and am trying to get to 125-120 range. It seems nearly impossible though! Right now I'm at 131 even.... Any tips?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    oneallmama wrote: »
    I'm 5'3 and am trying to get to 125-120 range. It seems nearly impossible though! Right now I'm at 131 even.... Any tips?

The last few pounds are really difficult to lose, and they come off slowly. Your deficit will be smaller (think .5 lb/week), and your logging will need to be as accurate as possible. Do you own a food scale?
  • paris458
    paris458 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    this is what I am working on now my last 6lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Bump up your intensity of exercise while maintaining your deficit. Try doing "blasts" of 20 second intervals of whatever exercise you're doing currently to force you to gasp for air. Recover till breathing is steady again and repeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • oneallmama
    oneallmama Posts: 108 Member
    Options

The last few pounds are really difficult to lose, and they come off slowly. Your deficit will be smaller (think .5 lb/week), and your logging will need to be as accurate as possible. Do you own a food scale?

I'm going to purchase one this weekend. Measuring cups and teaspoons/tablespoons don't seem to be cutting it anymore.
  • oneallmama
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Bump up your intensity of exercise while maintaining your deficit. Try doing "blasts" of 20 second intervals of whatever exercise you're doing currently to force you to gasp for air. Recover till breathing is steady again and repeat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This sounds great! I ride a stationary exercise bike and I'll try this out tonight when I workout... I think I need to start lifting to tone up as well.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

I'm going to purchase one this weekend. Measuring cups and teaspoons/tablespoons don't seem to be cutting it anymore.

Great! :smile: That will help a lot with the logging accuracy. Do you exercise?

Edit: Just saw you post about the stationary bike. Do you eat back your exercise calories? How do you calculate your exercise calories burned? Also lifting weights is always a good idea.
  • oneallmama
    Options

Yep I was exercising 5x a week but had to cut it down due to malnutrition and losing hair. Now I'm working out 2 to 3 times a week on a stationary bike for an hour. I think I've been over estimating my calories burned lately lol.

• juleszephyr
    juleszephyr Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    As all others have said with only a 250 deficit to lose .5 lb a week you need to be VERY accurate with your logging. Great way to increase the deficit is to burn a few extra cals but make sure you are accurate with your burn calories (I usually half MFP burns) and stick at it. One cheat meal day will blow the week!!
  • oneallmama
    Options
    As all others have said with only a 250 deficit to lose .5 lb a week you need to be VERY accurate with your logging. Great way to increase the deficit is to burn a few extra cals but make sure you are accurate with your burn calories (I usually half MFP burns) and stick at it. One cheat meal day will blow the week!!
    Yeah I can't wait to get my food scale and see how off I was using measuring cups. I have a feeling I was going way over my calories the whole time.

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Yep I was exercising 5x a week but had to cut it down due to malnutrition and losing hair. Now I'm working out 2 to 3 times a week on a stationary bike for an hour. I think I've been over estimating my calories burned lately lol.
    If you're experiencing malnutrition and hair loss, maybe you should be more concerned about eating back exercise calories and increasing protein rather than losing the last 6-7 lbs. It could be your body's way of saying this is where you should be. 131 at 5'3" isn't a bad weight. I'm 120-125, and I'm only 5'1.5".
  • oneallmama
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »

If you're experiencing malnutrition and hair loss, maybe you should be more concerned about eating back exercise calories and increasing protein rather than losing the last 6-7 lbs. It could be your body's way of saying this is where you should be. 131 at 5'3" isn't a bad weight. I'm 120-125, and I'm only 5'1.5".
    Yeah I've been losing hair steadily for a year now and am almost afraid that I might go bald lol! I went to the Dr for it and had blood tests and they said everything was normal so I have no idea. Maybe the exercise and cutting back food is causing stress to my body?

• cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Really? I never realized that could be the reason why I am losing hair. Ive been thinking abt buying some rogain its so bad!
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Yeah I've been losing hair steadily for a year now and am almost afraid that I might go bald lol! I went to the Dr for it and had blood tests and they said everything was normal so I have no idea. Maybe the exercise and cutting back food is causing stress to my body?

I looked at your diary and you're eating under 1200 a day, but you're only 27 and you're exercising. I'm eating that little, but I'm smaller and 30 years older than you are! (Metabolism slows way down after menopause). You may have been too aggressive in your weight loss. How fast did it take you to lose what you did? You should be "eating back" exercise calories. That means that if you work out and MFP adds calories to your daily allotment, you need to eat them, or you will be eating too little to sustain your body's needs. This is when things like hair loss happen. Also, you should be eating .8 to 1 gram of protein for lean body mass to support your workouts. For instance, when I had a fitness, body comp eval, it was determined I had around 85 lbs. lean body mass, so I try to eat between 65-85 grams of protein a day. My goal is 88 grams, but I have a tough time hitting it. I have a thick head of hair (it's layered but looks like a "blunt cut"), but I started experiencing problems with brittle nails breaking down to the nail bed when I cut back too much.
  • oneallmama
    Options

I looked at your diary and you're eating under 1200 a day, but you're only 27 and you're exercising. I'm eating that little, but I'm smaller and 30 years older than you are! (Metabolism slows way down after menopause). You may have been too aggressive in your weight loss. How fast did it take you to lose what you did? You should be "eating back" exercise calories. That means that if you work out and MFP adds calories to your daily allotment, you need to eat them, or you will be eating too little to sustain your body's needs. This is when things like hair loss happen. Also, you should be eating .8 to 1 gram of protein for lean body mass to support your workouts. For instance, when I had a fitness, body comp eval, it was determined I had around 85 lbs. lean body mass, so I try to eat between 65-85 grams of protein a day. My goal is 88 grams, but I have a tough time hitting it. I have a thick head of hair (it's layered but looks like a "blunt cut"), but I started experiencing problems with brittle nails breaking down to the nail bed when I cut back too much.

I was losing a pound a month for my weightloss... I didn't know I was supposed to eat back exercise calories.. I always thought that you needed a deficit. I know I'm most likely not eating enough protein and was eating protein bars a couple of months back. I probably should start doing that again.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    They're the hardest to lose because you weigh the least and your BMR/RMR goes down and all your exercises count for less calories, silly kitty.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    If someone has 5lbs to lose and says they can't everyone jumps in to support the idea that the body seems to want to hold on to weight the leaner it gets. I'll ask again, if the body seems to do this at low weights why does it not seem to do it at higher weights? Does "just eat at a deficit" not apply anymore the less you weigh?

Nobody has said that the OP's body is holding onto weight more than anybody else's body. What people have pointed out is that her deficit is now smaller so it is even more important to be accurate when logging. A person who has a scheduled daily deficit of 500 calories but slips and actually ends up with a daily deficit of 400 calories will lose, on average, .8 lbs per week. A person with a scheduled deficit of 250 calories who slips by 100 calories and ends up with only a 150 deficit will lose .3 pounds per week. That little change often doesn't even register on a scale, which is how a lot of people who are close to goal end up looking at the scale and seeing what appears to be no change.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    They're the hardest to lose because you weigh the least and your BMR/RMR goes down and all your exercises count for less calories, silly kitty.
    Wait, so why not just adjust your calories down to match then? What I'm asking is is it physically/biologically more difficult to lose the last 5lbs than it is the first, I dunno, 50?

I assume it has something to do with the leaner you are, the smaller your calorie goal becomes to continue losing. Since both calories in and calories out are estimates, when you have a smaller calorie target, the allowable margin of error becomes significantly smaller. So, I am not sure about a biological reason, but from a statistical one, it seems to make sense to me that the closer you are to target, being off on estimates (and the occasional day being over your calorie goal) have a greater impact.