Leg day = gain a pound?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

ahem on the subject of broscience lol ......... muscle soreness is NOT due to lactic acid, the body metabolizes that pretty quickly. It's due to the body's natural inflammation/repair response to the damage done to the muscle fibers.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's normal for your weight to fluctuate daily one to two pounds....and that kind of leg day sounds like you may have gained a pound of muscle! :) I was up two pounds after my leg day on Friday! It's depressing for the number to go up but when I look at my body I know that number doesn't matter!!

You don't build 1 Lb of muscle overnight in one workout no matter how hard you lift. I did a 6 month bulk cycle over the winter and it took me that long to put on about 4-5 Lbs of muscle along with another 4-5 Lbs of fat.

when you lift weights you break down muscle tissue...in order to repair, your muscles retain more fluids...that is all it is.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Sore muscles will definitely retain more muscle. I can't imagine the retention level is particularly correlated with soreness.
    I know everyone throws around the adage "no pain, no gain", but soreness is really in no way an indicator of muscle growth, nor even necessary for it.

Try saying that to Mr. Schwarzenegger.

"The last three or four reps is what makes the muscle grow. This area of pain divides the champion from someone else who is not a champion. That's what most people lack, having the guts to go on and just say they'll go through the pain no matter what happens."

He's talking about the pain of pushing through the last few reps instead of stopping because it starts to get hard and pain in muscles. Not day after soreness.
  • TaurianDoll
    TaurianDoll Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    rd2bme wrote: »
    is it normal to gain a pound after leg day? I mean the kind of leg day where you can now apply for a handicap plaque? I didn't eat poorly so hoping this is normal

I lift heavy in the gym twice a week and when I do that plus not eating back my exercise calories, the scale shows a fluctuation of +2 to +4 lbs. It's annoying but it's water.

I couldn't go to the gym today because of work but the scale is back down to the weight I expected because I'm not holding as much water in my muscles.
  • CrumCPT
    CrumCPT Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When you break down major muscle groups on leg day you can expect water retention. You'll recover! But since muscle is more dense than fat, your weight will increase as your muscle mass increases even with a low body fat percentage.
  • rd2bme
    rd2bme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! The weight came off two days later plus a pound. Not using the scale as much to gage progress is something I will definitely work on :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    CrumCPT wrote: »
    When you break down major muscle groups on leg day you can expect water retention. You'll recover! But since muscle is more dense than fat, your weight will increase as your muscle mass increases even with a low body fat percentage.

I am about 99.9% sure that OP is not adding one pound of mass on leg day...
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It happens for me!
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I am always 3+ pounds heavier the day after lifting
  • ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    Muscle soreness is due to an accumulation of lactic acid
    Soreness during exercise might be lactic acid, soreness the day after definitely isn't. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness#Mechanism </pedantry>