Excersise calories burned

Options
Im 5'3 110pounds and mfp estimates i burn around 500calories running between 6.5_7.5 mph for 60min. Now everything i read on here says to cut that number in half to get a better estimate because the mfp numbers are very overestimated. That would mean im only burning around 250cal in 60 min of running. Is this correct sounding? 250cal seems like so little for my 60min bust my *kitten* runs which are over 6 miles.

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    You're only 110 lbs, which is very tiny, even for a 5'3 person. You're going to burn less calories at that weight, no matter what you do. 250 might be spot on.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    500 calories for 6 miles of running is probably pretty close. This would be one of the (rare) cases where the burn sounds about right.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    500 for 110 pounds would mean that I could jog to Braum's, eat a banana split, and jog back and be in a deficit for the roundtrip. Therefore, I like it and deem it accurate.
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Im 32 and have always been small but this is actually the most I have ever weighed (except during my pregnanacys) I don't usually eat back my excersise calories. Im just always curiouse about what im burning. I don't care enough to buy an exspensive device to tell me either.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    In to say I think that's pretty accurate (I am almost the same size as you). Some of the exercise burns are way overstated in MFP but I've found that for walking and running they are about right for me.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This is good to know! I am about the same size and always wonder about this.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At 110, I would think that 250 is about right. I'm over 200 lbs and I burn about 550 calories during 80 minutes of intense exercise.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    bezlooney wrote: »
    Im 5'3 110pounds and mfp estimates i burn around 500calories running between 6.5_7.5 mph for 60min. Now everything i read on here says to cut that number in half to get a better estimate because the mfp numbers are very overestimated.

Lots of people who default to saying that don't understand what they're measuring. For 7 miles 500 cals sounds realistic.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes for 3 miles my activity tracker has me burning nearly 400 but I am taller and heavier...and MFP can be accurate for some...it was always accurate for me...