Question About Rest Day?

Options
hgycta
hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
Hi, I've been going to the gym for about two weeks now and have been lifting weights and doing some cardio. My goal is to recomp my body fat to more lean muscle, so my routine usually involves warming up for ten minutes on the elliptical, rotating around the gym using different machines to work on separate muscle groups, and then cool down for another ten minutes on the elliptical.
I'm completely new to working out, so I was wondering with a full body work out about how many rest days would you recommend I have? I've been resting Sundays and Wednesdays, or should I be working individual muscle groups (such as upper body one day, and lower body the next) and counting the rest days as the days I work the other set of muscles while the first one rests?
Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else already, I just want all of your opinions! Also, how necessary is it that I drink a protein shake immediately after my work out? Does it matter what time or what foods you eat, or does the same rule apply where meal timing is irrelevant? At the end of the day I stay within my calories and hit my macros, but I don't always necessarily eat carbs right before a work out or protein right after.
Thank you all so much for your help! I need as much insight as possible!
Also, I've noticed my weight has stayed the same but my upper arms have gotten quite a bit bigger - I was wondering where this weight came from? I thought they'd just change shape, not size!

Note about me: before working out I was VERY sedentary and weak; I had a hard time opening some doors, that's how bad I was!

Replies

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Food when you eat it is a personal feeling not a scientific answer because everyone is different. Protein-carbs-fats intake is a daily thing every hour is equal so eat when ever you feel the need.. Going from sedentary to very active with weights yes you will put on some size but your female so its not going to keep happening without some VERY serious training free weights not machines or steroids-Not recommended!! Get at least one day of rest a week I lift weights four days a week (2 upper, 2 lower) and do cardio five days a week. Hope this helps.. Mike
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The general wisdom is not to lift using the same muscle/muscle group two days in a row. There are two big reasons for this. First, because muscle isn't built during the actual workout--that's the damage. Muscle gets built/you get stronger during recovery in between workouts. Second, because in order to really make progress, you should be lifting heavy enough weights that you *can't* work the same muscle, with the same weight, two days in a row. It should be too tired. Otherwise, you're probably not working it hard enough.

Protein shakes are not necessary! Some people like them to help hit their overall protein macro. Really serious (competition) bodybuilders have the timing of when and what they eat down to a science because the little tiny differences matter. For people like you and me who wish we weren't still in the "untrained" column, weight wise, after a month of lifting? (my overhead press is awesome), not so much.

It's generally a good idea to eat a balance of protein and carbs at some point after you work out, but an actual commercial protein shake, absolutely unnecessary.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your answers, you guys have helped so much!!! :)