Coconut oil for fat loss

Options
hello
Has anyone tried taking coconut oil to assist fat loss? Been doing some research and it seems a great way to go.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    It it was only that simple there would be no need for MFP.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    hello
    Has anyone tried taking coconut oil to assist fat loss? Been doing some research and it seems a great way to go.

You are reading the wrong research then. A calorie deficit is the only thing that assists fat loss.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you like coconut oil, use it, but it isn't magical and won't do anything out of the ordinary. It's just an oil and should be treated as such.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It it was only that simple there would be no need for MFP.

This^

Even if coconut oil helped you lose weight..... how on earth would it target fat specifically. FYI: All weight loss does not equal fat loss exclusively (I only wish).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    The only way I can see it helping is that it may satiate you, so you're not as peckish and may eat less. As for it magically burning and targeting fat loss, I cant see how that would work.

The only way to know for sure is to try it and see. But beware coconut oil packs a load of calories..

I've never used it for weight loss, so can not say with 100% certainty whether it will work or not.

You can be our guinea pig :D Give it a try for a month or two and come back and let us know the results.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I used it to help clear candida as it is packed with linoleic acid.
    It tastes amazing and fries real nice.
    It's just as fattening as other fats unfortunately.
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think it's likely healthier than other fats nutritional wise, but calories are calories and you need to account for them. I love it though- smells lovely, I use it for cooking and for occasional eczema episodes.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    How is it supposed to assist fat loss? How can eating fat reduce fat?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Don't know... The same as eating fat wont make you fat. Unless of course you eat it at the expense of your deficit

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »

Your body needs fat for nutrition. The fat you already have stored in you doesn't work that way unless you pretend you are in a German concentration camp. There is a ton of information on MFP about fat. Read all about it!
  • AlexKuznetsov
    AlexKuznetsov Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Olive oil would be the same? It's fat right. I agree with all that we need to look at calories and make sure we are below what we need. I give it a go and see what amazing positive or negative results maybe.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Not for fat loss, but when I slather it on my hair once a week, then shampoo=shiny hair!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    2lbxram0o8gb.gif
  • bmaguire13690
    bmaguire13690 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you're referring to this type of thing?

http://makecoconutnotfat.com/coconut-oil-magical-hack-need-know/

It's not evidence-based and totally anecdotal, but it could work - stranger things have happened I guess. Not up for trying it though - I'd rather eat 'normally' with a calorie deficit.

Oil PULLING, however - amazing for your teeth. Though doesn't make you lose weight at all.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    hello

So when you say research what do you actually mean?

Because seriously ..its a fat, it has calories ...you add them to your food log

Ain't no magic

And no science

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    2lbxram0o8gb.gif

Lol
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    mtruitt01 wrote: »
    Not for fat loss, but when I slather it on my hair once a week, then shampoo=shiny hair!

Yes, this! And it makes me so I don't break out. For whatever reason, I never grew out of my teenage skin which is not a good thing when you're in your 40s.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil does nothing for fat loss.

A calorie deficit creates fat loss (and muscle loss). A lifting program helps prevent some muscle loss.

Coconut oil is very high in saturated fat. Olive oil is not. I cook with olive oil.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I put coconut oil on sweet potatoes and need less of it than I would butter.