When does this fitness addiction kick in?!? Haha

Options
So, it's so easy to become addicted to crisps, chocolate and all things nice, but why oh why can't I feel the same about fitness?!?
Don't get me wrong, I do fitness, I hate it whilst I'm doing it, but I love the ✅

Replies

• sarahdayski
    sarahdayski Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym so started swimming which i love so i go most days. Think it's just a case of finding something you love x
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Yep, if you are actually hating what you are doing you will probably never get addicted to it. What types of exercises are you doing now? What DO you like and what options do you have?

Just a blanket statement though that for me, it wasn't until I focused on actual fitness progress (walking faster, more laps, higher incline intervals; lifting heavier weights, etc.) that I finally enjoyed it. Focusing on what your body is capable of instead of the weight it is losing or the food you can eat generally makes a difference.

It's all in the mindset, really.
  • missebbycou
    missebbycou Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It kicks in when you start seeing or feeling results. When you'd rather do nothing but get that natural high on a regular basis from pushing yourself harder. Mentally and physically progressing, pushing through the activities you once deemed difficult... it's really a never ending addiction. Once you fall into a fun work out rotation that you can stick with and progress with it will feel natural, like any other habit/hobby you enjoy. It shouldn't be miserable IMO.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I find that doing something you actually enjoy helps...for myself, running for example is sucky...riding my bike is awesomeness.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I started to get some serious success under my belt, I got hooked. I look for mobility gains because that is important to me. There's got to be some sort of endorphin rush with running too, because I like running days better than rest days.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    It took me about two months of being consistent. Now, if I don't do it, I feel as if I forgot to brush my teeth or wear deoderant.

It also helps if your goals aren't strictly weight/appearance related. If you throw in a few short-term challenges along the way, it keeps it interesting, makes you feel rewarded, and helps with the self-esteem aspect of exercising.
  • Xo_c_e_b_xo
    Xo_c_e_b_xo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I started in October and I still hate it !
    Don't get me wrong sometimes I have a really good session and I enjoy it but most of the time it just feels like a chore
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to feel addicted to it, but then again, I only saw it as a chore during the first couple of weeks. I was about three months into it from November - January when I got lazy, and stopped going for two months. I've rejuvenated since the first week of April though. Now, I look forward to going to the gym, and feel extra poopy if I have two straight rest days.

I'd suggest setting a goal, and working toward accomplishing it. Mine was to run a 5k, and while I haven't run one in real life yet as I'm still training to get it done the whole way on the road, I can easily do it on the treadmill. I can get it done on the road with a couple of short walk breaks at least.

My next goal is to get that up to a 10k, and then half marathon after. I want to be able to run a full marathon by the time I'm 35, which is in 26 months from now, and I think is attainable if I keep at it.

So, to keep myself engaged, I have created short term, mid term, and long term goals that build on eachother.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I started a month ago and I've been obsessed for a while now. I go 5-6x a week. I've always loved group fitness classes (tabata, spin etc) though, so it's obviously been easy for me to want to go every day. I've always sort of wanted to become a long distance runner. I ran 5ks every day for a couple of weeks a few months ago, but I hated it. I got SO bored on the treadmill. Now I never go on the treadmill. The last time I was on it I just ran half a mile, even though I could have easily done more. So anyway, my point is that the key to getting addicted to it is to find workouts that you genuinely enjoy.
  • AngieD2203
    AngieD2203 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks peeps, I have to consider there must be some kind of enjoyment there somewhere or I would stop......just no addiction......I have tried various different fitness avenues, I enjoy being out on my bike, and I also enjoy doing the kind of fitness for eg Insanity, simply because it's hardcore, and I really did get into that and seen results......I'm going to keep ploughing on.....no other way forward
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym so started swimming which i love so i go most days. Think it's just a case of finding something you love x

Exactly this! Swimming is my thing too. No other form of exercise inspired me but swimming? I love it! Because of this, I spend 8 hrs per week in the pool. I'd be unlikely to tolerate gym or land based exercise for 8 minutes.
  • jpssteel21
    jpssteel21 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    There are days I struggle to stay motivated and days I am very motivated. I joined a HIIT class to interact with people and they help to make it fun going to the gym. I think we are social by nature and it is very rewarding making friends and being a part of something. Keep up the good work!!!
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    jpssteel21 wrote: »
    There are days I struggle to stay motivated and days I am very motivated. I joined a HIIT class to interact with people and they help to make it fun going to the gym. I think we are social by nature and it is very rewarding making friends and being a part of something. Keep up the good work!!!

One of the things I love about swimming, is that everyone else ceases to exist for the duration :D
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to find something you really enjoy. Then you really miss it if you have to skip it for some reason.
  • giff33x
    giff33x Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wish it was as easy as losing it as it is putting it on!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I watched a documentary on this and it said that while there are endorphins contributing, that the addiction is usually the result of the feeling you get when you accomplish something. Every time you feel successful and give yourself that mental pat on the back, you're increasing your happiness with exercise. So when you suck it up and do the workout anyway, and you feel good for having done it, that feeling is what you need to focus on, That's why so many people do better with goals. Goals increase your sense of accomplishment and therefore your happiness doing it. You learn to enjoy those mental "attaboys/attagirls" and you start looking forward to getting that feeling again. Not sure how true this is, but it made complete sense to me. I do feel better when I'm done and that's what keeps me going back for more.

This times 1,000. I never, ever thought I would be addicted, but after being laid up due to an injury for 4 weeks I was going crazy. I always thought the runner's high was a total myth or that I was incapable of it, but after I actually gained some endurance and no longer felt like I was gonna die, I started experiencing it, too.

TL;DR: find something you like/love/enjoy. Set goals. Celebrate progress.

• Launaleola
    Launaleola Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As soon as you see results! The more you get tbe more you want! Keep it up and dont give up :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Based on all the sugar threads I've seen, addiction will kick in when you activate the dopamine receptors in your brain.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    For me, I love the movement. My skeleton is pretty effed up so there are ways my body won't move. Any exercise I am going to do is going to hurt. But when I am exercising I just concentrate on the movement I am making and I appreciate that I can move. Of course there is the after, the sense of accomplishment and the eventual weight loss, the ability to do more. There are times when you must look for the love and decide that you are going to love it.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    It started just around my birthday, when I'd been working out for a few weeks, but it felt like a chore. I worked out on my birthday and felt like I was in my early 20s again! Since then I've been hooked. I've missed a week for a family event and another 2 weeks recovering from an operation, and I was really grumpy and restless missing my workouts lol