Weight training advice needed please...

Options
I am looking for an effective weight training workout I can do at the gym 2 days a week. I run and do yoga the other days and like a rest day on occasion! Let me start out with I cannot do 5 x 5 stronglifts of New Rules for lifting for women. Unfortunately my gym does not have the equipment needed. They have a free bar for chest presses but squats and such they only have a Smith machine. I believe the heaviest dumbbells they have are 35s. Anyway, I was thinking of doing a split routine but working legs both days (not in a row). I was thinking of doing 1 day of chest, tris, shoulders and legs and the other day back, bis, shoulders and legs. I do core work every day. Any thoughts opinions appreciated... and please don't say join another gym...

Replies

• josiereside1
    josiereside1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I should add that I am not necessarily new to weight training but have mainly been doing home DVDs for a while, P90X, and some not as intense ones.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    What is your goal?

You can squat with either 2 dumbbells or a barbell held between your knees.

• josiereside1
    Options
    Goal is overall weight loss. I also have some limited upper body strength due to neck surgery and I know I struggle holding things in my hands that are very heavy.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Whatever people on this board think about the Smith machine, I still like it. You can use it.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it looks like you might have to just use the smith machine for squats, be careful going down though, watch the bar doesn't put you back in a bad angle from the lack of range of motion.

[quote="jennifershoo;329146Whatever people on this board think about the Smith machine, I still like it. You can use it.[/quote]

Until you've done real squats where it engages you body in a completely different way, you have no idea what you're missing. Also try Bulgarian split squats and also deadlifts. All are great calorie burners because they engage almost your entire body to preform each rep
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Must be doing those quotes wrong...
  • josiereside1
    Options
    Thanks all. I will figure it out!