HIIT Timing Questions!

Options
Hey, guys!

So, everyone has a different time requirement when it comes to HIIT. I've heard 2 minutes on, 1 off. 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. Minute and a half on, 30 seconds off. What is actually the best method when it comes to fat burn?

My goal is to set it to running at my gym. If I run on a 1/8 mile track, could I do a 2 lap run, 1 lap walk? Or should I still set it to a timer?

Lastly, how frequently should I do it? I saw the MFP article, but I've heard that it should be done consistently, versus one week a month. What are your thoughts? How best can I do this?

Replies

• elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Not an expert at all, but I'm doing HIIT on the stationary bike. Average about 6 days a week, for 60 minutes. I played around with times and found what worked best for me is 1 to 3 ratio. More or less time in intensity or recovery seemed to stall any weight loss. I've lost significant weight and inches doing this for about 3 months. Also dieting. I started out barely able to walk 50 steps and now I'm almost back to what feels normal for me. Like I said, not an expert but liking my results. Good luck.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    When it comes to HIIT on something like a treadmill, elliptical or bike, I like to yoyo.

2 minute mark 2.0
    4 minute mark 2.5
    6 minute mark 3.0
    8 minute mark 2.5

etc etc etc.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I think there's HIIT, then there's interval training.

IMO, you can keep intensity high enough for more than 20-30 seconds (max) to do any more for HIIT. For hiit I've done from 10seconds to 30, with 50 seconds rest to 90 seconds rest.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I typically do 15 all out/45 off or 20/40.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    HIIT is specifically high intensity intervals. If you can run at the speed for 2 minutes it is no longer HIIT, It is just sprinting or intervals. The idea is to go balls-to-the-wall and then recover and keep repeating. Once or twice a week is usually recommended, once a month doesn't seem very productive.

When first starting out you want a longer recovery to avoid injury and get used to the effort. Also if you don't recover well enough, you will not be able to go at an appropriate intensity for the next interval.

Just my suggestion, Warm-up with a walk/jog for 5 minutes then start with a 20-30 second sprint followed by a 2-minute recovery. Repeat for 20 minutes. Each session add on to the sprint or reduce the recovery. Eventually you will be able to go 30/30, etc. Build up to it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Google "tabata".
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    HIIT is specifically high intensity intervals. If you can run at the speed for 2 minutes it is no longer HIIT, It is just sprinting or intervals. The idea is to go balls-to-the-wall and then recover and keep repeating. Once or twice a week is usually recommended, once a month doesn't seem very productive.

When first starting out you want a longer recovery to avoid injury and get used to the effort. Also if you don't recover well enough, you will not be able to go at an appropriate intensity for the next interval.

Just my suggestion, Warm-up with a walk/jog for 5 minutes then start with a 20-30 second sprint followed by a 2-minute recovery. Repeat for 20 minutes. Each session add on to the sprint or reduce the recovery. Eventually you will be able to go 30/30, etc. Build up to it.

^This.
  • samoppenheim
    samoppenheim Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

I never thought of building up to it! I'll definitely start doing that. Thank you for the help!