Want to lift...what to look for in a gym/trainer?

Options
whmscll
whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
I want to begin lifting but have never done it before. I want to start with a trainer, to learn good form and habits. What should I look for in a trainer in terms of knowledge/certifications, etc.? And what should I look for in a gym in terms of weights/equipment?

Replies

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Everything will depend on your goals and what you're comfortable with etc. As far as a trainer, make sure they have a professional certification. The better ones I would suggest would be ACSM, ACE, NASM. Don't be afraid to interview a potential trainer, you need to feel comfortable with them as well as make sure they know what they're talking about. Unfortunately the fitness field is not well regulated so there are a lot of people out there that are training that do not know what they're talking about. Just because you can train yourself does not mean that you can train others, or that you even know a ton about the subject IMHO. If you are looking for basics then you won't have to be as picky about extra certifications. If you are looking to start powerlifting I would also look into a strength and conditioning coach as that's their specialty.

As for the gym, that's going to vary based on what type of lifting and workouts you want to do. Traditional weight training would be good with power racks, barbells, dumbbells, and benches. If you want t do more obstacle race style training or even crossfit type exercises then you'd want access to medicine balls, ropes, sleds, plyo boxes etc. I personally enjoy both so I have a gym that has a little bit of everything.
  • erojoy
    erojoy Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Agreed be careful about the trainer you get.

I see some things trainers do at the gym with their clients and not all instruct proper form. I honestly thought a guy was going to blow his knees out on a 250 lb squat yesterday because his knees were so narrow and shaking inward. When they were figuring out the weight the person asked the trainer, the bar is 50 lbs right? and the trainer said "yup." I shook my head, the barbells there are 45 lbs. I just kind of bit my lip and finished up because I couldn't watch. If they don't know what they are talking about you could get injured. My best friends have been bodybuilding.com, muscle for life, and t-nation reading things from professional trainers and athletes and studying exercise videos and training programs. Good luck! I hope you have a phenomenal experience.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    The trainers I worked with also had one-size-fits-all routines. When I talked to the last one about modifying the workout she had planned, she told me that her workouts were better than the ones I provided examples on.

I got the workouts from bodybuilding.com that focused on my goals. When I asked her why, she said they were such basic workouts that I could do them on my own. Unfortunately, this conversation was after I had already signed a contract for her services.

Go into an interview with the personal trainer with specific goals and ask lots of questions. What types of workouts are used? Is there only one workout that is used for everyone on a particular day/week? How will the workouts be modified if the level is not up to what you are able to do? How long have they been certified as a personal trainer? How long have they been working for the gym?

Just like a job interview, keep in mind that you will be paying them for their services. Keep control of what exactly will be provided during your sessions.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks, this is super helpful.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The better ones I would suggest would be ACSM, ACE, NASM.

I would throw the NSCA in there as one of the top if not the top certification body.

A lot of it will come down to the personal trainer themselves. Just like it was back in school, it's very possible for somebody to be very book smart when it comes to exercise science and not know a single thing about applying it themselves. See if you can find any referrals on somebody but also talk to the trainer. If they sound like a used car salesman or like they're not listening to you, then move on.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    This may seem obvious, but find a trainer who actually lifts.

Anybody can tell you the basics: dont let your knees go past your toes, dont arch your back. Only somebody who actually lifts will be able to spot weaknesses and suggest exercises to improve them.

If all your trainer does is use machines, that's what your workout will look like with them. If all they do is cardio, they wont have much more than the basic knowledge.