Calculating calories

Options
I have a quick question for you all. I make all of my own meals from scratch. How do you calculate the calories?

Replies

• caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You need to weigh everything with a kitchen scale.
  • xfilme
    xfilme Posts: 21
    Options
    say for example you cook a casserole... are you saying i have to calculate the calories on each separate ingredient and the weight of each ingredient that goes into one serving? so theres no way of cooking the meal and then calculating the calories based on just the weight of the serving I suppose? sounds awfully complicated :S
  • caitlinen
    caitlinen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is what I'm saying. You need to weigh each ingredient separately.

Edit: You don't need to weigh each ingredient per serving... you can do the entire thing, cook it then weigh it again and divide it evenly into servings.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Under the "food" tab, there is a recipes section with a recipe calculator. That is what I use to determine the calories per portion when cooking a dish consisting of multiple servings.
  • Cutting4life
    Cutting4life Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    say for example you cook a casserole... are you saying i have to calculate the calories on each separate ingredient and the weight of each ingredient that goes into one serving? so theres no way of cooking the meal and then calculating the calories based on just the weight of the serving I suppose? sounds awfully complicated :S

have fun lol
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    You can estimate. You will be more accurete weighing but if estimating is what you have time to do then do it that way. It's better then not logging or paying attention at all. Just make sure you are aware of possible inaccurecies and plan accordingly. Find a plan that works for you.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Under the "food" tab, there is a recipes section with a recipe calculator. That is what I use to determine the calories per portion when cooking a dish consisting of multiple servings.

This. Your recipe should be able to tell you how many servings it yields. Or if not, play with serving sizes until you find a "calories per serving" you like, and serve that amount.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I weigh out each item, right it down then all it all up, carbs, fat. sugar etc, then divide it by how many portions you get from it, easy.:ohwell: :laugh:
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options

It is a bit tedious in the beginning, but as you use recipes over and over again it gets very simple. Like one poster said, you can play with the portion size until you gets the calorie count you want - I love that.

OR if the recipe has that information already written in, as most do nowadays, you can enter the title of the recipe as 'My Food' and enter the nutritional value there.

You are worth the time and effort it takes to get started.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options

This. Your recipe should be able to tell you how many servings it yields. Or if not, play with serving sizes until you find a "calories per serving" you like, and serve that amount.

^ This x 1000. I love the recipe calculator.