Obsessed with weighing myself..

Options
2»

Replies

• SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, it would drive me mad to weigh weekly. I weigh everyday precisely because of fluctuations - if you weigh once a week you could still weigh on a day when you're fluctuating, but because you're not weighing everyday you wouldn't know that you were 2lbs lighter the day before and the day after. You wouldn't know it was just a fluctuation. I've never really understood how weighing less often puts less emphasis on fluctuations, I can only see it making fluctuations seem worse, but it works for some people so if it would work better for you then go for it. But if you can accept that fluctuations happen then there's nothing wrong with weighing everyday.

This is the reason I weigh daily.

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Wow that is super cool! Is that part of MFP or something else? I'd really like to check it!

It's a spreadsheet on Google Drive lol. You could also use Excel, or a website/app designed for this (like TrendWeight mentioned a couple of times earlier) to do it. I just record my weight there everyday and plot a graph.
  • amanda_the_mom
    amanda_the_mom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, it would drive me mad to weigh weekly. I weigh everyday precisely because of fluctuations - if you weigh once a week you could still weigh on a day when you're fluctuating, but because you're not weighing everyday you wouldn't know that you were 2lbs lighter the day before and the day after. You wouldn't know it was just a fluctuation. I've never really understood how weighing less often puts less emphasis on fluctuations, I can only see it making fluctuations seem worse, but it works for some people so if it would work better for you then go for it. But if you can accept that fluctuations happen then there's nothing wrong with weighing everyday.

This is exactly how I feel too! I use the Libra app to track my weight and you can set the trendline to be calculated for multiple days. I believe the default is a week, but I use 3 days. I like weighing evey day because if something is going wrong, you start to see it sooner. So if you have one day that's up, but the next day is down again then you know it was just a fluctuation. But if day after day you keep creeping up for a few days or a week, you know there's something wrong with what you're doing and you can adjust it. But if you were weighing weekly and saw one weight up, you wouldn't know if you've actually started going up or if it happens to be one day that your bloated or haven't pooped lol
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily, first thing. BUT, i compare my weekly averages.

I think this is the best way to go if logging daily bothers you when you have a small gain. Your weight will fluctuate from day to day and there will be days it will go up. You can't focus on the day to day change, but on the overall trend. If you only weigh once per week you may happen to weigh yourself on an "up" day and needlessly be concerned you're not losing weight.

I do weight daily, and I log it every day, but I understand that I needn't get concerned about any jump in weight, which for me has been as much as 2 pounds. If you're following your calorie budget correctly, your weight has to go down in the long run. Here's my weight report for the last 3 months. Plenty of spikes in there from days that I've gained, but you can see the overall trend is great.

v0q0ke55bqtv.jpeg

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Yeah I weigh daily. It's actually pretty fun to see the day-to-day fluctuations smooth out into a nice negative trend over time.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - it's comforting to me to see the fluctuations because I'm more in tune with my body that way. Sometimes I weigh more than once because we also have a scale in the bathroom at work and I like to compare the two - it doesn't throw me off at all, they're always fairly close to one another.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and try to not let the fluctuations get to me. I just log on MFP when I've lost a full pound. I'm thinking of logging in Excel to reinforce the idea that fluctuations are normal.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Trendweight and Libra Weight manager (app) can help with understanding fluctuations. They map scale weight along with the trend weight to give you visual representation of the fluctuations. I wish the weight tracking on MFP included similar features.

The other alternative is to simply weigh yourself once a week and accept the fact that fluctuations happen.