Can I do Insanity + weight training ...?

Options
Hash5m
Hash5m Posts: 29 Member
Hello guys,

I will start Insanity tomorrow ... but my question is can I lift weights in the morning and do Insanity in the afternoon or evening time? Please answer me ... especially those who did Insanity ... what do you guys think?

Hash

Replies

• igypsy
    igypsy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm in my last week of month 2 of Insanity... I don't think I'd have been able to do additional weight training in addition to Insanity - it is quite intense! There are quite a lot of push ups, squats, lunges and jumps - so there is already some bodyweight strength training incorporated in the program.

Now that I have completed 1 round I am thinking of doing Insanity every second day with additional strength/cardio on the alternate days.

But that's just my experience!
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    If you want to do the 8 week course of Insanity and weight training you could, but you'd be buggered. You'd burn out (unless you are an Olympic athlete or something.

Imo you'd be better off doing a hybrid of insanity and weight training and doing it over 12-16 weeks. Not sacrificing the insanity but alternating days with weight training. It will however would make it a lot longer program.

I did a running an insanity asylum hybrid last year (asylum is 30 days), and did it over 10 weeks, and I'm glad I did it that way.
  • Hash5m
    Options
    I'm in my last week of month 2 of Insanity... I don't think I'd have been able to do additional weight training in addition to Insanity - it is quite intense! There are quite a lot of push ups, squats, lunges and jumps - so there is already some bodyweight strength training incorporated in the program.

Now that I have completed 1 round I am thinking of doing Insanity every second day with additional strength/cardio on the alternate days.

But that's just my experience!

Thanks for your reply ... I am confused that's why I am asking the ones who did Insanity ... I am trying to add the training in order to lose more in less time ... I might be wrong but that's my approach ... waiting to see what others have to say ... thanks again for passing by
  • joe2626
    joe2626 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think that doing both in one day is overkill and it won't take long to realise that yourself. For the past couple of months i've been doing a hybrid of Insanity: Asylum volume 1 with Stronglifts 5x5. I do 3 sessions of each per week on alternating days with the one rest day. However, even that has been tough on my body and some weeks I need 2 rest days so I double up my Asylum workouts.

If you're looking to strength-train, doing compound lifting exercises with a barbell lifting 'heavy', i'd recommend a similar workout pattern to mine. Alternatively, if you just want a bit of dumbbell work, Insanity: Asylum has 6 workouts, one of which is called 'Strength' which incorporates cardio dumbbell rotations and pull-ups. So perhaps trying Asylum vol. 1 when you graduate from Insanity.
  • Hash5m
    Options
    Thanks guys ... I guess I'll do the Insanity program alone for the next couple of months ... then I'll go for more.

Thanks again,
    Hash
  • 1fitchick00
    1fitchick00 Posts: 155
    Options
    Hey Hash,

I currently am doing Insanity and I know there are a lot of others who do insanity just as their cardio and then do weights as well. The only thing I don't suggest doing is leg day!! Most of the cardio exercises on Insanity focus a lot on legs and glutes as it is so you would just be overdoing it!! Hope this helps!!
  • Hash5m
    Options
    Hey Hash,

I currently am doing Insanity and I know there are a lot of others who do insanity just as their cardio and then do weights as well. The only thing I don't suggest doing is leg day!! Most of the cardio exercises on Insanity focus a lot on legs and glutes as it is so you would just be overdoing it!! Hope this helps!!

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply ... I will start the first week and see if I can add the weight lifting or not ... If yes, then starting from next week I'll go for double workout.

Cheers,
    Hash
  • bigjaco
    bigjaco Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Hash5m

I do weights in the morning and then insanity of a night.

Will admit though Insanity is very tough, make sure you take enough food. As its a real energy sapper but well worth it. Better than any gym fitness glass i have found.

I enjoy going the gym in the morning but beware to warm up as after insanity the night before you really feel the muscles burn especially hamstrings and calves