Lemon Water

Options
KD12321KD
KD12321KD Posts: 19 Member
I've heard a lot of positives but also a lot of negatives about drinking lemon water - my question is, do the positives outweight the negatives?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There are no positives (other than a small amount of vitamin c, assuming you are squeezing the lemon and immediately drinking the water) and no negatives. It is a matter of taste.
  • KD12321KD
    Options
    Really? I've read a lot about it, from a lot of different sources:

Positives - makes you drink more water (because it tastes nice), good for digestion, good for your stomach as an organ.

Negatives - acid erodes tooth enamel, can act as a diruetic.

All false?
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    KD12321KD wrote: »

Positives - makes you drink more water (because it tastes nice), good for digestion, good for your stomach as an organ.

All false?

Go ahead and drink it if it makes you drink more water, but it doesn't have any magical weight loss properties. The lemon just tastes good.

Water is good for your organs in general whether there's lemon in it or not.
  • KD12321KD
    Options
    I wasn't expecting it to have any 'magical weight loss properties', otherwise I would have mentioned that in my above post! My actual question was, do the negatives outweigh the positives - is it going to damage my teeth!? Obviously fruit juice in general is horrendous for tooth enamel, is lemon water better as it is diluted?
  • KateKyi
    KateKyi Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Lighten up about worrying over food. Drink you lemon juice if you like it and if you are worried about the effects on your tooth enamel, brush your teeth after drinking it.
  • KD12321KD
    Options
    Thank you for you help, to be fair I hadn't even considered re-brushing my teeth! Just FYI, you should be careful about using phrases like 'lighten up about worrying over food' on websites such as this, people have a lot of issues about food and you could tip someone over the edge!!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Positive: It hydrates you. It has no calories. Maybe it tastes good (I personally don't think so).

And that's about it. All acidic food erodes tooth enamel, and this is why we have practice oral hygiene. If you like it, drink it. It is exactly the same as drinking water, nutritionally, so if you like it, drink it.
  • KD12321KD
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    lemon is a good souce of vitamins esp C. it aids in digestion and decreases inflamation in the body which can decrease diabetic issues. I drink it alot.yes, I brush frequntly
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    conniehgtv wrote: »
    lemon is a good souce of vitamins esp C. it aids in digestion and decreases inflamation in the body which can decrease diabetic issues. I drink it alot.yes, I brush frequntly

How does it do all of this stuff? Do you have any studies to back up these claims?

Because it sounds like it does all the things that plain water does, except for the Vitamin C part, although I don't think a tablespoon or so of lemon juice is going to have that much vitamin C in it. There is nothing magic about lemon water as opposed to regular water.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    KateKyi wrote: »
    ...and if you are worried about the effects on your tooth enamel, brush your teeth after drinking it.

Please do not do that!

from: http://www.colgate.com/app/ColgateSensitiveNew/US/EN/Brushing-Right-After-A-Meal.cvsp

"Brushing your teeth right after a meal may not be the good habit you think it is.

Research suggests that the exposure to acidic food and drinks during meals softens the enamel of your teeth. Brushing your teeth immediately after consuming acidic foods and drinks increases the chance of enamel erosion.

Therefore, to help prevent dental erosion, it is recommended you avoid brushing for at least 60 minutes after eating or drinking acidic foods or drinks."
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of the alternative health related benefits, and I am not sure if I buy them; but I drink lemon water anyway -- simply because I *hate* the taste of plain water. This makes it a lot more tolerable.

If you are worried about the acidity and enamel, you can just rinse with plain water, or even drink some plain water afterwards (provided you don't have pre-existing dental conditions) I think this is a lot more reasonable than brushing teeth every.time. you drink (lemon) water.
    Plus, you are only supposed to add a bit of lemon not make a super tart juice.

A lot of people seem to want to burn posters at the stake when they mention drinking lemon water (sorcery!) But *shrugs* give it a try, don't expect miracles, but if it makes you feel better, drinking more water or anything else positive then yay!, right? it's not like you are adding a bit of heroin to the water...
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

All false?

I didn't realize that the diuretic effect was a negative... When I'm feeling horribly bloated I'll seek out lemon water for just that effect!

• KD12321KD
    Options
    I didn't realise this was such a controversial topic! You're all fabulous for adding to the debate :D
  • FreshStartForMyself
    FreshStartForMyself Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do not brush your teeth after drinking lemon water!! Just wash your mouth with plain water, the toothbrush will only make the enamel erosion worse. :neutral:
  • mark18q
    mark18q Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I cheat. I drink water by the pint glass with a few drops of pre-bought lemon juice from the supermarket. I have literally no idea of the benefits / detractions of lemon juice in water, let alone lemon juice from a bottle!

All I know is with the lemon juice I'm inclined to drink the pint very quickly and I drink a helluva lot more during a day.

And that has to be a positive :-)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    KateKyi wrote: »
    ...and if you are worried about the effects on your tooth enamel, brush your teeth after drinking it.

Please do not do that!

from: http://www.colgate.com/app/ColgateSensitiveNew/US/EN/Brushing-Right-After-A-Meal.cvsp

"Brushing your teeth right after a meal may not be the good habit you think it is.

Research suggests that the exposure to acidic food and drinks during meals softens the enamel of your teeth. Brushing your teeth immediately after consuming acidic foods and drinks increases the chance of enamel erosion.

Therefore, to help prevent dental erosion, it is recommended you avoid brushing for at least 60 minutes after eating or drinking acidic foods or drinks."

You beat me to it!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of positives but also a lot of negatives about drinking lemon water - my question is, do the positives outweight the negatives?
    The answer is it does not matter...

43482326 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It gives me more energy. It's like my morning coffee. Id give it a go.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I've heard about the tooth enamel but always eat lemons after using them (can't resist) & never had an issue or been told anything other by my dentist. I also drink water with a squeeze of lemon frequently to vary plain water as I don't drink much of anything else; especially as the healthier option when eating out. Never had a diuretic issue-wouldn't mind keeping the system cleansed. If you're eating whole lemons or drinking lemon juice 24/7 that might present other issues. Never heard about the avoid brushing part~interesting.