Big Brother is Watching

Options
Apparently, big brother MyFitnessPal has been reading our diaries (see blog.myfitnesspal.com/3-ways-your-breakfast-is-sabotaging-your-weight-loss/) and they've determined that we aren't eating enough for breakfast and even if we were, we're eating too many carbs and not enough fat. Thoughts?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    I think they should know better than to hype breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    given the level of derp on the forums, why I am not surprised that MFP is advocated a bunch of woo woo about carbs, added sugar, and not eating enough breakfast….?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh and MFP owns the site so why would it be surprising that the look at peoples diarys? I assume nothing is private here and on the net in general.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    My thoughts? I don't care. What other people think of the food I eat has absolutely no effect on me.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Ever since I read the blog that said you shouldn't eat back your exercise calories I quit paying any attention to them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    OMG

that's such bad advice

love to see the sourcing on why you should allocate x% of your calories to breakfast

and then see it ripped apart

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    and don't forget the pics we post...how do you think I found MFP...I googled images for 30 day shred results bam MFP.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OMG

that's such bad advice

love to see the sourcing on why you should allocate x% of your calories to breakfast

and then see it ripped apart

before long some idiot is going to start quoting it in the forums and saying "well the MFP blog said added sugar is bad wa, wa, wa…."
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I think they're just saying that if people had a bit larger breakfast they weight be less likely to overeat at lunch. I know I personally upped my calories at breakfast because I would always be super hungry by the time lunch rolled around. I find that three equal size meals actually makes me feel better than eating multiple little ones throughout the day. With little meals I "always" felt hungry. But everybody is different. Do what works for you.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I think they're just saying that if people had a bit larger breakfast they weight be less likely to overeat at lunch. I know I personally upped my calories at breakfast because I would always be super hungry by the time lunch rolled around. I find that three equal size meals actually makes me feel better than eating multiple little ones throughout the day. With little meals I "always" felt hungry. But everybody is different. Do what works for you.

great, that does not explain the woo woo about carbs and added sugar.

and plenty of people skip breakfast completely - IF - and have no issues. I did it for six months few years back and had no issue with overeating.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    Those two sentences are the key bits.

The only reason I eat before noon is because the gym becomes a PITA once people got out of school so I need to be done before then and I don't like lifting on an empty stomach. I've managed to lose some weight without breakfast.

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    It's the internet. Nothing is truly private.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    It's the internet. Nothing is truly private.
    It's not about the internet so much as it's being about info saved to a database which they control under an end user agreement that I'm sure authorizes them to use said data.

• daaaaaanielle
    daaaaaanielle Posts: 114 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've never really eaten breakfast explicitly. Some days I will start eating my lunch a bit earlier than lunchtime at work but I still count that as my lunch.

I've never found any difficulty in not eating breakfast - I'd say I feel probaby about as hungry by the time I reach lunch as I am without breakfast. I prefer to have the calories available later on in the day for a bigger dinner, a dessert, whatever.

If MFP look at my lack of breakfast entries and think I'm doing myself harm then so be it. Bit creepy to try and assess everyone's eating habits but ultimately not really a bit deal for me.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It's a poor article just because all it can use is generalisations. Without more data on people's activity goals etc the assumptions are worthless. It's up to the normal quality of MFP blogs at the low end of pretty useless
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and eat a big plate of egg whites, veggies and bacon almost every single day. It allows me to have a lighter lunch or dinner or just have snacks throughout the rest of the day or whatever. Who gives a *kitten* if they look at my diary. I eat what I eat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Well, I think a lot of what was written there is not right for me. I eat a small breakfast. I'm not crashing by lunch and craving "unhealthy" choices because of it. I plan all my food out for the whole day before I eat breakfast. My "unhealthy" choices are thought out choices. I'm not sabatoging my weight loss because I have been losing weight and have been eating this way since day 1.
    I think the tone was scolding and annoying. Some advice on what to choose for breakfast so you stay full longer wasn't bad but reading words like sabotage & unhealthy made me feel hostile.
    My diary is public and I don't care if anyone reads it including MFP staff. I didn't ask for analysis and input on my choices though from anyone.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I only log part of something just to check calorie content. I wonder if that skewed their data for average calories. I still don't eat a lot for breakfast usually, though. I think people should just do what works for them.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So if you eat a larger breakfast, it stops you eating as much as lunch? As opposed to having a smaller breakfast and a larger lunch? Erm... for the most part wouldn't it just cancel each other out?

I just eat when I'm hungry and within my cals.