Low carb diet

Options
i have been on the low carb diet for a week in a half. Already I have lost 7 pounds and have come to a stand still. Seven pounds in a week is a lot, I know. I have been eating 25 grams of carb each day and also make sure I stay under 1500 calories. Any of you tried the low carb diet? What were the results? Did you/do you like it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to this so I'm learning as I go!

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you are doing low carb? You can lose weight while eating carbs, low carb is not required for weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    i have been on the low carb diet for a week in a half. Already I have lost 7 pounds and have come to a stand still. Seven pounds in a week is a lot, I know. I have been eating 25 grams of carb each day and also make sure I stay under 1500 calories. Any of you tried the low carb diet? What were the results? Did you/do you like it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm new to this so I'm learning as I go!

you've been on a diet for 10 days and have lost 7 pounds and now stalled?

what?

... I ... just ... can't .. even
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it is not a plateau.

I am guaranteeing 90% of your loss is water weight/glycogen.

Keep doing what you are doing and your loss should pick up in another few weeks..assuming you are in a deficit.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    OK deep breath

1) you have lost a lot of 'waste in your body' and water weight -that's not 7lb of fat
    2) weight loss is not instant and is not linear
    3) you can't 'try' low carb you have to commit to it
    4) if you're already thinking of giving up it might not be appropriate to you
    5) you lose weight by eating at a calorie defecit week in, week out .. your scale weight loss might stall for a couple of weeks, go down, even go up .. it's what happens. You are looking for a trend downwards over time
    6) do not judge your rate of loss in anything other than 6-8 week segments
    7) if you want to low-carb that's fine - look for the groups
    8) you don't need to low-carb to lose weight
    9) any diet you follow is under the umbrella of eating fewer calories than you consume

hope some of the above helps
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh, if you like lifting weights, as your profile pictures indicates, good luck with your gym performance on low carb. In my experience, when my carbs are low my gym performance goes in the tank.

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    you lost 7 lbs of water/glycogen straight off the bat, that's normal on low carb diets, now you say you've stalled, yet you've only been dieting for 10 days? you haven't stalled, you've just initially lost your water weight - now the weight loss is supposed to slow down and weight loss from here out will be and be due to your caloric deficit
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    oh, if you like lifting weights, as your profile pictures indicates, good luck with your gym performance on low carb. In my experience, when my carbs are low my gym performance goes in the tank.

Not mine. When I "tried" low carb I saw no real long term "tanking" of my gym work, or my running. The first week or so I was a little sluggish, but then I was right back to normal.

OP: you've lost a pound or two of fat, and a lot of water. Now: if you're going to go with a low carb approach, hunker down and keep going and hope you keep losing a pound a week (or less depending on your stats).

Eat your vegetables!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OK deep breath

1) you have lost a lot of 'waste in your body' and water weight -that's not 7lb of fat
    5) you lose weight by eating at a calorie defecit week in, week out .. your scale weight loss might stall for a couple of weeks, go down, even go up .. it's what happens. You are looking for a trend downwards over time
    9) any diet you follow is under the umbrella of eating fewer calories than you consume

This^
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OK deep breath

This^

<nods>
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

agreed...I was 34 days into low carb and just couldn't do much of anything...and it wasn't 25grams or less.

I just can't imagine...
  • bodyrep
    bodyrep Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have read to get your body into ketosis mode (fat burning mode) you need to restrict your carbs to 50 or less per day and every 5 to 7 days have a big carb day to spike your system then go back to 50 or less carbs. Not sure if this is healthy or not but what are your thoughts on this?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I have read to get your body into ketosis mode (fat burning mode) you need to restrict your carbs to 50 or less per day and every 5 to 7 days have a big carb day to spike your system then go back to 50 or less carbs. Not sure if this is healthy or not but what are your thoughts on this?

There is no need to do that to lose fat. Calorie deficit is all that is necessary.
  • Sued0nim
    edited June 2015
    Options

my body has burned body fat eating 250-350g carbs a day .. over time ... with increased activity and a progressive weights programme

because that's what it do

ketosis / low-carb .. just a way to get to a calorie defecit, which if it works for you and you enjoy it and like to live like that.. great

if you don't .. don't

t'aint magic
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The spiking is not necessary, and probably counterproductive. Futile glycogen cycling.
  • LCHF90
    LCHF90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60 pounds eating low carb so far. I eat 20 carbs a day. Low carb weight loss, in my experience, comes in all at once and stops. Then, repeats. So, it is normal in my experience to lose rapidly then stall before another drop. Just stick with it or whatever method you choose over time
  • ndj1979
    Options
    bodyrep wrote: »

you do not need to ketosis for fat burning...you can do that on a 500 per day calorie deficit.