I'm want to do some weight training, i have

Dumbells
Weights
straight bar
curl bar
Aerobic Step
& lots of time

I was wanting to know the best way to start,

any links to fitness programs to follow?
do i need to stick to a particular diet?
other equipment i might need?

thankyou for any advice anyone can give me :-)

Replies

• Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A flat bench will most helpful for a lot of excercises.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    hasfit.com/‎

Totally free site, and they aren't trying to sell you anything! (I know, bizarre, right?) They have all kinds of videos, from beginner to advanced, for weights, cardio and a special section about abs. They even have videos specifically for women. Most of the workouts/exercizes require little to no space, and little to no equipment.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    HI Guy

I'm want to do some weight training, i have

Dumbells
    Weights
    straight bar
    curl bar
    Aerobic Step
    & lots of time

I was wanting to know the best way to start,

any links to fitness programs to follow?
    do i need to stick to a particular diet?
    other equipment i might need?

thankyou for any advice anyone can give me :-)

You're best off sticking with a tried and tested beginner programme. Which one will depend upon your goals and (to a certain extent) your taste.

I'll trot out some of the usual suspects: New Rules of Lifting (any of them), Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, All Pro's Simple Beginners Routine. It probably doesn't matter which you start on, just that you start and learn good form on the lifts.

If, after a couple of months on one routine you find it's not gelling for you, you can always try one of the others. Some people do well on 5X5, some people find they like a higher rep range..... remember, there are no right and wrongs.

The only two things to avoid are: doing your own made up routine - it'll suck. Sorry, but it's true! And doing a 6-day bro split you've seen someone do down at the gym - it's not suitable for beginners and you'll end up wasting your time and effort.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you can afford it, I would try to get one or two sessions with a personal trainer so they can help you with form and things like that. We have no idea if we are lifting correctly if there is no one there to help us at first. We can end up hurting ourselves if we do not.

There should be one that will come to your home that will help you with your own equipment.

Some things I would suggest

A yoga mat
    Resistance bans
    Kettle bell.
    exercise ball

Good luck and have fun! We slowly purchased equipment over a period of several years and now have an in home gym. We are saving hundreds of dollars and we do enjoy doing it from home. BUT, in saying that, we do have the motivation to use it at home, some people do not and it is a waste of space and money. I also recommend the book New Rules Of Lifting For Women as well.