Iv just joined

joshort87
joshort87 Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone iv just joined this and don't really know what I'm doin but all the help and support i can get would be amazing..x

Replies

• mclousto
    mclousto Posts: 1 Member
    I am new as well. I am on my second day of recording my food and need help with how to record exercise. Is it better to use the free app or to sync with a fitbit?
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Welcome both of y'all! I know when you're new it can be a bit daunting but some of the best things I've ever heard on here include:
    -Read and learn to differentiate the science from the "bro-science/BS" - there is so much information out there about how best to lose weight, but in the end, its just about burning more than you intake
    -Don't fall for gimics - no food or specific ab workout or fat flush or pill is gonna make you thin by magic - don't you think we'd all be thin if it were easy... its not. Again, eat less than you burn - and use MFP to help you do this.
    -Speaking of MFP - use it as a tool but not the end all and be all - not all the information on here is correct. People will say chili is anything from 150 calories to 900 and the problem is, that it can be. Be truthful - if your chili had cheese and crackers and half a pound of ground beef in it, its not 150 calories. Also take the exercise values with a grain of salt - I personally have found that for most cardio exercises on MFP, if I take 70% of the value it calculates for me, I'm golden... figure out what works for you. With lifting weights I don't bother - I just give myself 250 extra calories on those days and move on.... again that's up to you
    -FOOD SCALE, FOOD SCALE, FOOD SCALE - just do it... no you can't eyeball it and no, your measuring cup isn't good enough because you can squish stuff in. Just get a food scale and weigh everything in grams...
    -Finally, and I just saw this today and thought it was genius(although its not verbatim), focus on determination, vigilance, accountability to yourself, humility, and humor... things are gonna get in your way and life has a funny way of sending unplanned things your way - take it in stride and do you best and learn to roll with the punches - this is a lifestyle (and a happy one) and you have to be able to accept that and accept defeat and mistakes along with the victories!