Does the amount burned from the different exercises assume 100% intensity?

TheHiggo
TheHiggo Posts: 3 Member
For example, martial arts; say it burns x calories for 60 minutes. When I train, there's a fair amount of technical work and instruction - we don't hit things at full intensity for the entire hour (that'd be ridiculous and a good way to injure yourself). Another example is rock-climbing - there's plenty of stationary/less-intense time involved - I'm not constantly hauling *kitten* up a wall/rock.

Does the number of calories burned reflect some sort of 'average', and thus including down-time, or should I change it to reflect it myself? I.e. if I train in martial arts with 20 minutes of high-intensity, 30 minutes of technical, and 10 minutes of instruction, should I list it as only 20-30 minutes to take the less-intense parts into account?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    the amount estimated in the MFP database for various exercises is over-estimated and the best advice is to cut them in half and then judge your actual weight loss over 6-8 weeks

if you are losing more rapidly eat back more
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    The MFP Exercise Diary provides estimated Calories burned for cardiovascular activities using published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs) values, which in general align with the values for similar activities found in the Compendium of Physical Activities. The greater the METs factor, the greater amount of estimated Calories burned per minute for a person's body weight.​

The METs factors provide estimates for a general population and an individual user's Calorie burn estimate may be different.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    I do not use MFP estimates for cardio calorie burned. I use my Heart Rate Monitor numbers. I entered them manually
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    the amount estimated in the MFP database for various exercises is over-estimated and the best advice is to cut them in half and then judge your actual weight loss over 6-8 weeks

if you are losing more rapidly eat back more

+1