Too skinny chest but still need to lose fat on bottom - what to do?

Options
Hi all, I'm fairly new to MFP though I've been here before... Now making another start at getting healthy and losing some weight. I'm not obese but slightly overweight and flabby at 169cm/65kg - i.e. need to change body composition. I'm currently eating at a deficit and trying to get a decent amount of exercise (doing couch to 5k and squats, push ups, abs at home) to help weight loss and prevent as far as possible muscle loss. I rely more on the mirror than scales to chart progress :)

I have a very specific problem - not sure if I should address it here or on the fitness board..

I am a classic pear shape in that when I lose weight it goes from the top half first, and particularly from my chest. I have prominent collarbones that start sticking out and you can also see my ribs a little (not much boobage...) My arms look fine - not excessively skinny - but there is still some excess fat on my hips and thighs.

How do you deal with this? When I reach this stage, do I just keep going even though my top half is "too thin", in the hope that the fat will come off the thighs eventually, too? Or will my top half look skeletal before I get there?

The skinny chest is not that attractive either, would building muscle in that area make an appreciable difference? I can't afford a gym at the moment.

Thanks for any and all help!
Botticelligirl

Replies

• Caletara
    Caletara Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I would start doing more weight lifting. That way you can gain more muscle on your chest. Make sure you're using progressively heavier weights and lifting to muscle exhaustion. Maybe try some calf raises and other leg exercises besides squats. It will happen eventually!

Since you can't afford a gym, try lifting items you have at home, or see if you can find weights for cheap. Target or Walmart usually has good deals :) My cat weighs 14 lbs. If she stays still she makes for good squatting!
  • kimault1984
    kimault1984 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this, I will quietly lurk and hope that someone knows the solution to this! I have the same problem, also pear shaped.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Eat at or just below maintenance

follow a progressive lifting routine (internet: stronglifts5x5, ice cream fitness or books: Strong Curves, New Rules of Lifting for Women)

you're looking at body recomposition

you could start with bodyweight exercises until you can get to a gym

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing and get involved with a decent weight training regime.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Swimming would help develop your upper body to even you out.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat. So you'll need to gain muscle in the glutes and thighs and hope your body lets go of the fat around the bottom half. Unfortunately, your genes will dictate where you lose the fat from. Concentrate on getting enough protein and try to do squats and lunges to build up that area's muscles (eventually weighted ones). Concentrate on push ups to get your chest a little bigger and if you'd like more defined arms (there are all sorts of different hand positions for push ups that focus on different areas of the upper body).

Just keep on your calorie deficit, make sure you get enough protein, and keep trying to go until failure (like your muscles are shaking and you can't possibly do another one).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yes, lifting will help. You can start at home, no problem. Squats, hip thrusters, lunges.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Swimming would help develop your upper body to even you out.

I second this! General swimming or even drills to target areas for muscle strength. Breast stroke is particularly good for building pecs (funnily enough!) and even more effective when used as an arm (no leg) drill. Front crawl (freestyle) is also good and is generally a more powerful workout but not quite as chest specific.