What's the easiest way to track dumbbell workouts that feeds into MyFitnessPal?

Just became a member and I LOVE how Runkeeper feeds my run into MyFitnessPal without any additional effort.

Is there an app for doing the same with dumbbell exercises?

Currently I'm running Runkeeper and MyFitnessPal on my iPhone, and they both sync together with Health and my Apple Watch. Love it!

Replies

• MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    No there isn't. It is hard to track calorie burns from weightlifting because it's not steady state cardio. HRMs will give an estimate, but it's often overinflated.

You can log it under the cardio category as weightlifting, and estimate your burn, but as far as I've seen, there is no such similar app for lifting.
  • ChristopherMaselli
    ChristopherMaselli Posts: 3 Member
    It's not as crucial to me to have the calorie burns recorded as it is just to have the reps, sets and weights automatically entered. I was hoping for an app with workouts included, and then when I did a workout, it would automatically post to MFP.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    It's not as crucial to me to have the calorie burns recorded as it is just to have the reps, sets and weights automatically entered. I was hoping for an app with workouts included, and then when I did a workout, it would automatically post to MFP.

sadly, nothing like this yet. :disappointed:
    it would be great, but I can imagine coding that would be a logistical nightmare (considering how people use different set numbers, reps, weights, exercise names, styles, etc). Running is running. Pretty straightforward.

Tracking weights is a bit of a logistical nightmare.

(heck, it's tough to even find a good app to use outside of MFP - I've tried half a dozen and I'm back to paper and excel)
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    No there isn't. It is hard to track calorie burns from weightlifting because it's not steady state cardio. HRMs will give an estimate, but it's often overinflated.
    I use a HRM when I weight train. For 45 minutes of continuous weight training I can barely get between 150 - 180 calories.
  • ChristopherMaselli
    ChristopherMaselli Posts: 3 Member
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

sadly, nothing like this yet. :disappointed:
    it would be great, but I can imagine coding that would be a logistical nightmare (considering how people use different set numbers, reps, weights, exercise names, styles, etc). Running is running. Pretty straightforward.

Tracking weights is a bit of a logistical nightmare.

(heck, it's tough to even find a good app to use outside of MFP - I've tried half a dozen and I'm back to paper and excel)

I suppose--though I can't figure out why a very popular app like JEFIT isn't connected to MFP. All their exercises are clearly defined, and when you do a workout, it could simply post like:

Barbell Curl - 4 sets - 12 reps - 50 lbs

That wouldn't be any worse than what you'd input yourself, only it would be automatic. I've been searching for answers to this through Google and it looks like quite a few people would pay for a JEFIT elite subscription if they offered that. It's not like MFP is a competitor; they're completely different tracking, and it's JEFITs programs that make them unique. Ah well...