Dog Fights

Options
pmaria10
pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
What a lunch break!!!

I have a dog her name is Sissy ( Like from Urban Cowboy, her personality certainly fits Sissy's character from the movie) she is spayed and has been since she was 4 months old. My aunt, who is also my neighbor has another female dog who is the same age AND they grew up together both raised by a chow-chow, they are currently 4 years old. My dog is a pit-mix and aunty's dog a border collie. They had never fought until the chow-chow died. Now that's all they seem to do is fight. They have both always exhibited male behavior (they pee like male dogs) which we figured was because they were spayed so early but we really don't want either dog to get hurt. More and more it seems like my dog is getting stereo typed because of her breed but most times it's the border collie that starts it and both are great pets when they're not around each other. Sissy would never bite or try to hurt a person she goes up to strangers with a wagging tail and loves kids.

I'm just not sure what to do.......wondering if perhaps anyone has some advise or suggestions. I'm really hoping to find a dog whisperer within this forum.

Any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Replies

• mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    sounds like they are trying to figure out who is the "alpha male" now that the chow is gone. Not sure what to do though. Do they bark throught the fences? Is it really agressive barking? not all barking means they want to fight. Hope someone can give you some good answers.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Just b/c they're both fixed doesn't mean they don't get some symptoms from being in heat. The chow chow seemed to be the mediator.. my parents have 3 female dogs and 1 male, 2 australian shephards, 1 border collie and then theyre giant border colie thing, I forget what she's called lol, she's the breed with the cut tail and very bear like! lol

Anyway, the females often attack each other when they're in heat, just outta no where! I'm not quite sure how to fix it, but your not alone! I can ask them, they do dog championships and seminars. They sell ergonomically correct dog grooming tables. Good luck!
  • greddysangel
    Options
    Are both dogs spayed? What is it they are fighting over (toys, bones, attention)? Something must be triggering their fights. I run a pit bull rescue and have apprenticed with a trainer (all positive reinforcement). Very hard to figure these things out online, but maybe I can help with more info...
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I have 2 female dogs, one of which we had a year before the other. They both fight/wrestle, but I know it's not an issue. The way I can tell is because of a hint a friend of mine told me about (she's training to be a vet tech and owns 2 labs). The hint is their tail. If their tails are up and wagging while their barking/chasing/wrestling/fighting each other, then it's a form of play and they're fine. It's when their tails droop that you have to be careful.

Like this weekend when we were dogsitting my cousin's german shepherd and lab puppy. The puppy likes going after the german shepherd's tail, but when she went after my dogs tail, boy did she get an ear full! :laugh: Wasn't a full out "fight" but my dog definitely let her know that was not allowed!

Just something to consider in your case.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    In the UK the Pit Bull is illegal, so I am not familiar with them, but I know that dogs are often allowed to rule the roost and need to learn their place in the pack, I would imagine that they are trying to work out who is top dog right now and that it will either work itself out or you will need to show them that YOU are boss. I would seek advice from an animal behaviourist.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this but you MUST separate them! Its awful, but you have to when these situations occur. Since the "alpha" dog passed the other two are going to fight it out for the top spot. unfortunatly both dogs think they should be the alpha it sounds like. I love pits, mine is the love of my life...he wouldnt hurt a fly....but he is big and powerful and to be perfectly sure that he doesnt i keep him away from other large breeds.

Your only other option is to try special training with the two of them....and that can be costly.

my sister had an unfortunate case like this as well. hers were father and son, to this day they cannot be near eachother....
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Are both dogs spayed? What is it they are fighting over (toys, bones, attention)? Something must be triggering their fights. I run a pit bull rescue and have apprenticed with a trainer (all positive reinforcement). Very hard to figure these things out online, but maybe I can help with more info...

Good for you! My husband wants to start a rescue for pitbulls too. We had a beautiful female pitbull and she was the sweetest dog I had ever had. We also had 2 cats and a chihuahua, it was amazing how well all of the animals got together!
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have three dogs, so that either makes me a doggie psychiatrist, or in NEED of one for MYSELF!!:laugh: :laugh: I have a Lhasa, a Shih tzu and a Yorkshire "Terror." Based on the differences in the way the Shih tzu and the Lhasa interact since the Yorkie arrived last fall, I think there has been a change in the interpersonal dynamic, since the third dog is out of the picture.

Strange as it may sound, maybe you need to get a third dog, again, to balance things out. Since there are two females, already, I would recommend a male, preferably fixed.

My Lhasa (spayed female) used to go after the Shih tzu when it suited her. Shih tzu is an un-neutered male, but VERY laid back and non-aggressive. When the Yorkie arrived, (neutered male), the Lhasa tried to boss him around as well. It lasted about 5 days. One morning, when she tried her usual door blocking maneuver to prevent the other two from coming into the bathroom while I was getting ready for my day, the Yorkie just looked at her and walked by. This emboldened the Shih tzu, who quickly followed.:noway: My Lhasa was left with her mouth hanging open, wondering "what just happened? They are supposed to FEAR me.!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Since that day, she isn't nearly as pushy toward either of them. My biggest problem is the Yorkie, who doesn't understand the difference between a disagreement in the form of a little "barkfest" and a full blown physical attack. He has had to be restrained on more than one occasion. Amazing, considering he is older than either one of them and the smallest of the three. Somebody forgot to tell him he is NOT a big doggie.:bigsmile:

Amazingly, as I was writing the above paragraph, my Shih tzu started a fight with the Lhasa--something I never thought I would see, but it was only a momentary territorial dispute over who got to sleep where... Children!!!:ohwell:

Good luck!!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the deceased dog was (as someone stated earlier) a mediator. But if they're simply being seperated when a fight starts, they're not learning that it's bad behavior. You may want to try one of 2 tricks--the tin can or the hose. Neither one of these are mean, they're just meant to get your dogs' attentions.

1) Put a bunch of pennies in an aluminum can. When they go for each other, start by shaking the can. That typically startles them into correcting their behavior. If shaking the can doesn't work, throw it in their direction (NOT at them, but near them). That should startle them as well. Then firmly, and with a low voice, give each of them a command. Make sure they do it.
    2) Use a hose...it's simple. If they fight, spray them (with a relitively gentle setting...you obviously don't want anyone to get hurt), then do the same thing as above--give them a low, firm command.

Believe me, these typically work. If they don't then you may want to visit with an animal communicator...there may be something bigger going on.

Something to consider as well...what are the dogs eating? Some dogs experience increased aggression on inappropriate diets. If you put them on an appropriate diet, these may subside. Dogs are like us...if they eat crap all the time, it builds up in their system and causes issues. Getting dogs onto a natural, raw (if possible) diet often helps clear up aggression issues and helps to create a calmer, happier dog.

If you ever have any questions about feeding raw, let me know...

I hope you can teach these girls that their behavior is not okay and then they'll be able to work it out!!!
  • pmaria10
    pmaria10 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response! There's some very helpful info. here. Just to answer a few questions. Yes both dogs are spayed and they do mean business because they draw blood. At one time they fought when no one was home until both were physically drained and we found them both lying next to each other panting they couldn't even walk they were so exhausted. I was so sad usually what we have done is separate them using a hose which is the only way to separate them but when they fight where the hose can't reach I have felt helpless and just cried................ after 15 minutes i finally thought to trip the car alarm which really startled them to stop.

ethompso0105 thank u for the can idea I'm def gonna try this. I really want to correct their behavior and show them who is boss in a humane way.
  • greddysangel
    Options
    Please do not spray them with a hose. Slippery dog are hard to separate.

If you are going to have the dogs together, try to have at least 1 handler per dog present. If the dogs start to fight, each handler should grab a dog by the hind legs (not be the collar as fighting dogs may re-direct). Lift the hind legs off the ground and twist until dogs release. Separate the dogs as they may still be wanting to fight.

You may want to leave leashes on the dogs at all times when they are together.

Again, are the fights starting over food, toys, bones, attention? Watch for signs, stiffening, hackles, "whale eyes", slight lip curls. Break up fights BEFORE they happen when possible.

Remove triggers. If fights are starting over food, toys, bones etc. pick them up before having the dogs around each other. Be proactive. Do not set the dogs up to fail.

Encourage "calming signals" (lip licking, play bowing).

Perhaps attention a training course based on POSITIVE reinforcement with both dogs may be a good idea.