Exercise time??

Options
is it better to exercise in the morning or night?

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'd say whatever you are more likely to keep doing...

I prefer working out in the morning, I get it out of the way before any excuses crop up.
    Plus, I prefer working out on an empty stomach otherwise I get stomach cramps.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I'd say whatever you are more likely to keep doing...

Whichever fits your schedule. Personally I prefer morning. I find it just sets the right tone for the day (plus I can get out for a run before it's too stinkin' hot & humid in the summer) but it's a matter of personal preference.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yep, whatever fits your schedule.

I usually exercise in the morning because it is better for me schedule-wise. I'm a morning person so it works out okay. However, I have noticed that my performance is better in the afternoon or evening. I think it is because I've been up and moving throughout the day so my body is more warmed up, over and above the warm up I do specifically for exercising.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i prefer the morning. get it done with. otherwise I'll find reasons to put it off.
    sometimes I even sleep in the clothes I'm going to exercise in. so i'l I have to do is pee and put my shoes on in the morning
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Its best to exercise whenever you're more likely to do it. No way am I dragging my butt out of bed at 4am to exercise - but going every night after work works for me so that's when I go.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Morning has it's advantages. You get it done - nothing that happens later in the day will distract you. You may be encouraged to follow thru - you did a workout - so you eat a healthy breakfast.

However if you're like me, you somehow can't drag your sorry butt out of bed. After work turns out to be more consistent for me.

Just be consistent.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Whatever time is good for you.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I prefer late afternoon/early evening but am restricted to whenever my support worker can get me there. If I go in the morning I find I have a massive energy slump in the afternoon. At least if I'm hit by an energy slump in the evening it is close enough to bed time to not matter too much. That could be more a chronic fatigue/disability thing though. Before I got ill I would usually go in the morning.
  • bluepotatoes66
    bluepotatoes66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I guess it really matters what works for your energy levels and your schedule.
    Me, personally, dragging my butt out of bed earlier than the 6:30 I already do is not workable for me, but going on walks during the day and getting into the gym on my way home from work in the evening totally is.
  • AprilLBradley
    AprilLBradley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    whenever you can fit it in your day! I am not a morning person. I have 4 kids and a full time job... my workouts happen around 7:30pm. Whatever works for you to keep a schedule!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you. i like mornings for most of my workouts, but the aqua zumba classes (2 times a week) are in the evening- which is fine because theres a youth group meeting/swim thing on the same nights so my son does that while i work out lol
  • b_neroni
    b_neroni Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I usually workout at night. I'm not a morning person.