My leg fat looks weird as I'm losing weight

Options
bbontheb
bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Not sure how or where to ask this.

I've only lost 15 pounds and about 60 more to go. My leg fat (thigh, mostly inner down to knee) looks more lumpy and strange as I'm slowly losing weight. It's like it looks looser and more "fat-like" then before. Before it seemed just wide/big for part of it (front/sides but not the backs of my legs). Any idea why this is happening? It's like more lumpy?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yup

Squishy fat and whooshes

It's a good sign

• las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with the same thing. Try to build up some more muscle. My legs are finally beginning to lose that cellulite look.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options

rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yup

Squishy fat and whooshes

It's a good sign

Squishy fat. That totally explains what it looks and feels like. Up to recently it was more of a solid fat on my legs. Kinda strange. But, if it's a good sign-I'm good with that!

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Might did that as well. I looked like my legs were melting for awhile there. lol but they look better as the fat came off.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you're seeing the "squishy fat" effect. I've never seen an actual scientific explanation for it but it's pretty common. Lyle McDonald pretty much says the same thing--yep, it's a real thing.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've got it too, buddy! Not very pretty, but it is what it is. I've got it on my belly too. :(
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was quite solidly fat before I began losing, too. It gets squishy and then you lose. Then it firms up a bit. Lather, rinse, repeat. :)

You'll notice some patterns as you move through your weight loss journey. You learn what works for you and what doesn't, what makes you want to pig out, what makes you more energetic, etc. It's kind of fun. :)

It really does look much grosser than big, solid fat bursting your skin out, doesn't it?

As someone else said, though, it's a good thing. So congrats!
  • daycox24
    daycox24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm noticing the same thing. I've lost 34 1/2 pounds so far, with a lot to go. Started doing water aerobics last night and I hope that helps!
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I just plan on wearing long short until I'm about 140 pounds. :)

I've been covering it up for years...what's a little while longer?
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Hey! I didn't realize that the squishy fat was a thing! I was noticing this around my tummy area and was beginning to wonder what that was all about. Sweet! I'm excited to know it's a sign of progress. A squishy sign of progress.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I get it. Legs, arms, stomach, butt, it's so gross but I've always been happy to see it.
  • Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what is happening with my tummy. Looks weird, but kind of cool that you can see where the fat has gone from!
  • Jgasmic
    Jgasmic Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing! Now I get excited when my thighs start looking like cottage cheese because I know I'm about to lose some inches!
  • pumpkinpocalypse
    pumpkinpocalypse Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Both my belly and thighs looked like this when I had lost a significant amount of weight...especially around the 20 pounds loss mark. It was like, i looked skinny fat haha. I guess it's loose skin, due to the fact that you burned fat but also some muscle as well, especially if you didn't do much intense training to maintain your muscular mass, so everything is flabby. Since I started exercising a lot more/doing strength training as well on top of that, it really improved and my arms and legs are firm. It's totally hot B) Tummy area improved as well but it's still a work in progress...abs are so hard to get, man.
    So yeah, the only way to get rid of it from what I've seen is to work those areas out to tone them up. Replace the loose skin/squishy fat with. For the legs, biking can be a really good exercice, as anoher option to the gym.