How to count marinade calories?

Options
I'm thinking of making grilled chicken. I marinade my chicken in a homemade sauce over night and then dump the marinade in the garbage. I then baste the chicken with leftover sauce that wasn't used as marinade. How would I count the calories for that seeing as most of the sauce ends up being thrown away?

Replies

• crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    What I have done is created a recipe for the marinade in MFP, and make it in a measuring cup so I can tell how many table spoons. Then I just add two tablespoons to my meal.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    If you make the marinade in a bag, weigh the bag before putting in the chicken. The next day, when removing the chicken, weigh the bag again before throwing it out. Calculate the difference and apply a ratio to the marinade recipe you've made. Log the chicken part as a separate entry in your food diary.

So say your original marinade weighs 200g. after removing the chicken it weighs 180g. Do 200 - 80 = 20. 20/200 = 10%. Use 10% of the original recipe. That's what I'd do... but then again I don't marinade often (requires planning haha), so when I do I usually just make a minimum amount of it and count it all.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If it something out of a bottle like BBQ sauce or salad dressing, I'll count the marinade coating it as 1Tbsp and then just measure 1Tbsp at the end to coat it with. Simple is my strategy- do your best forget the rest! As long as you're logging regularly and trying to be moderately accurate about how much marinade you're using, it shouldn't affect your goals long term.
  • bestmeicanbe1
    bestmeicanbe1 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I was stressing over chicken but I'm good now lol