Beating Diabetes

Options
So the big news of the day is I'm officially off my diabetes medication! We went to the doctor today and got the blood test results. My A1C was 5.8, down from 7.2 in December. 5.8 is more or less in the normal range. In December the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication as my A1C was high. I refused to be put on another drug. So I knuckled down, lost weight and started running. The pay off is I'm not on any medication at all! The doctor was almost as happy as I was! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this site. I may not post all that often but I do read a lot of posts and so much of what you guys post makes sense. A lot of you probably don't realize how many people you affect with your wise words. Counting calories, getting active, running, it has all contributed to my success.

Replies

• rnsharon56
    rnsharon56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is such an awesome story-turning your health around is the biggest reward of all! Great job!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    *thumbs up*
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    So the big news of the day is I'm officially off my diabetes medication! We went to the doctor today and got the blood test results. My A1C was 5.8, down from 7.2 in December. 5.8 is more or less in the normal range. In December the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication as my A1C was high. I refused to be put on another drug. So I knuckled down, lost weight and started running. The pay off is I'm not on any medication at all! The doctor was almost as happy as I was! I owe a huge debt of gratitude to this site. I may not post all that often but I do read a lot of posts and so much of what you guys post makes sense. A lot of you probably don't realize how many people you affect with your wise words. Counting calories, getting active, running, it has all contributed to my success.

Great job!
  • dlrcpa
    dlrcpa Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm really happy for you, because diabetes is awful.
  • jagpie42
    jagpie42 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. We forget sometimes that our doctors want us healthy. Mine has been a huge cheerleader.
  • kratschie
    kratschie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started medication. Unfortunately all the Sport and nutrition did not help to lower my morning blood sugar which leads to my 6.3 hbA1c. I am not even 30 yet. I still hope to turn it around somehow
  • UrnAsh_84
    UrnAsh_84 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!!
  • 1234usmc
    1234usmc Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! I am hoping for a sub 6 a1c in two weeks myself. Keep it up.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Awesome accomplishment OP !!!! Great news.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :# nice!!
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    fantastic!
  • mcahoon79
    mcahoon79 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Sharing your success will definitely encourage others to keep pushing for better health. You have just proven that IT IS POSSIBLE to get off of medication. Go you!!!!
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    So the big news of the day is I'm officially off my diabetes medication! We went to the doctor today and got the blood test results. My A1C was 5.8, down from 7.2 in December.
    Congrats Dave. I similarly was 9.5 on my A1C this time last year. I'm 5.1 now. No more shots or pills for me. This weight loss stuff is great!

• 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great news! I am on the borderline, so I was hoping weight loss and exercise would help. I did buy a glucose meter and have noticed my reading have moved into the normal range. Thanks for posting your success!
  • 2ledbetter
    2ledbetter Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    At my last ac1 checkup it was also 5.8. Last July my blood sugar was a little over 300. The dr. wanted to put me on medican but I said let me try by changing my food and losing weight. Here I am 10 months later, 98 pounds lighter and a good blood sugar level. Still have at least 80 pounds to go.
    So proud for the journey you took and the accomplishment you achieved.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    kratschie wrote: »
    I just started medication. Unfortunately all the Sport and nutrition did not help to lower my morning blood sugar which leads to my 6.3 hbA1c. I am not even 30 yet. I still hope to turn it around somehow

Hopefully losing more weight will help
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm happy to share my success if it helps inspire others to do the same. It's such a relief to be off the meds. I know I can't get complacent but I didn't come this far to just fall off the wagon. I'm in it for life. Never again will I be over 200 lbs!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!