How important is eating breakfast in the morning to weightloss?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    It depends on you. There's no scientific evidence supporting it; however it puts you into a routine. People succeed on routines - this is the bro-science element that purists dismiss.

I eat a small breakfast because I feel better doing it. Eating several small meals keeps me from getting hungry and balances me out through the day. If this works for you great - if not, don't do it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All my diabetic and weight loss classes emphasized the importance of breakfast. For the diabetic, it is to start off on a good note for stable sugars all day. In the weight loss classes, it was intended to prevent binging later in the day.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I think that most people usually eat or graze approximately 4-5 hours apart (just as an example) for instance, breakfast around 8:00, lunch around 12:00, dinner around 5:00 or so. I actually eat around 6 small meals like breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack!! Doing this, I am never starving or craving. But point is that from dinner time to breakfast the next day is already around 15 hours without eating. Now push it to lunch and it's almost 20 hours without food or fuel. I believe (in my 'personal opinion') that eating breakfast or 6 meals like I do speeds up the metabolism which in my case is probably a strong factor in my 80+ pound weight loss. It is a preference to each person as stated. I would strongly recommend breakfast! My mother use to skip it all together & now that I have her eating even the littlest bit of something, even with no exercise for her (scoliosis & recent mastectomy) she has dropped around 10-15 pounds.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    So, I am pretty new to this whole "lifestyle change" thing and although I don't know all that much yet, I am pretty excited to be learning different things. That being said, let's talk about breakfast! ha :)
    I never eat breakfast in the morning because I am usually not hungry and also lacking time. I was talking to a colleague at work today and she voiced that not eating breakfast will ruin any chances of losing and keeping off weight!
    Any thoughts on this? Will eating breakfast actually make a difference?

No, it will not ruin chances of keeping the weight off. If not eating breakfast makes adherence easier (and is your preferred way of eating) or allows you to eat less in the day if not tracking, then there is no reason to start.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    egorman88 wrote: »
    Breakfast is extremely important! It all depends on WHAT you eat (protein with complex carbs) in order to fuel your body to get it started for the day! By having a proper breakfast, you'll be able to have more control over your cravings and portions later in the day. Yes, it does matter more with certain medical conditions (I have type one diabetes), but it's also important for weight loss results and for feeling energized. If we skip meals or go more than 5 hours without eating, our portions tend to get larger which interferes with our goals. Something such as Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of berries or whole wheat English muffin with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter can still be generally low in calories, but help keep you on track for the rest of the day.

It is entirely individual.
  • tedioustrainingap
    tedioustrainingap Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is extremely important! It all depends on WHAT you eat (protein with complex carbs) in order to fuel your body to get it started for the day! By having a proper breakfast, you'll be able to have more control over your cravings and portions later in the day. Yes, it does matter more with certain medical conditions (I have type one diabetes), but it's also important for weight loss results and for feeling energized. If we skip meals or go more than 5 hours without eating, our portions tend to get larger which interferes with our goals. Something such as Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of berries or whole wheat English muffin with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter can still be generally low in calories, but help keep you on track for the rest of the day.

It's not important to me and never has been. Eating late, however is. So, I have my 'breakfast' at night time. This means that I am replacing any potential unhealthy evening grazing, with an actual, calorie counted meal.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    michellesz wrote: »
    I think that most people usually eat or graze approximately 4-5 hours apart (just as an example) for instance, breakfast around 8:00, lunch around 12:00, dinner around 5:00 or so. I actually eat around 6 small meals like breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack!! Doing this, I am never starving or craving. But point is that from dinner time to breakfast the next day is already around 15 hours without eating. Now push it to lunch and it's almost 20 hours without food or fuel. I believe (in my 'personal opinion') that eating breakfast or 6 meals like I do speeds up the metabolism which in my case is probably a strong factor in my 80+ pound weight loss. It is a preference to each person as stated. I would strongly recommend breakfast! My mother use to skip it all together & now that I have her eating even the littlest bit of something, even with no exercise for her (scoliosis & recent mastectomy) she has dropped around 10-15 pounds.

It is not really a matter of opinion ...
  • michellesz
    Options
    sullus wrote: »

It is not my place to tell this person what to do only what has worked for me. I stated in my opinion this has worked for me, but it is just my opinion. Please elicit further...Are you saying that you agree or don't agree?
  • Desert_flower3
    Desert_flower3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    To me it makes A LOT of difference. All the times I did not eat breakfast and made it a habit I gained weight. I ended up eating just one big meal a day around the evening time/night and it made me gain a lot of weight....
  • sullus
    Options

It is not my place to tell this person what to do only what has worked for me. I stated in my opinion this has worked for me, but it is just my opinion. Please elicit further...Are you saying that you agree or don't agree?

That's not a problem. The problem is that it's your "opinion" that it speeds up metabolism. It does not, and that fact is not a matter of opinion.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Here's the thing. Some people feel hungrier throughout the day if they eat breakfast. Some people don't. Some people feel more energized in the mornings if they eat breakfast. Some people feel even more sluggish. Some people see an increase in mood or concentration first thing in the morning with breakfast. Others won't. This is one of those times where you can't take a generalization like "If we skip meals or go more than 5 hours without eating, our portions tend to get larger which interferes with our goals" and apply it to individuals. Personal preference is far more important here than generalizations and causation studies.
  • anapestic
    anapestic Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry in the morning, and your weight loss is otherwise going okay, then go ahead and skip breakfast. Some people need to eat then, and some people don't.

If at some point you start struggling with the weight loss, you might want to consider trying to eat a reasonable breakfast for a week or so to see if having breakfast makes it easier for you to eat less the rest of the day.
  • michellesz
    Options

That's not a problem. The problem is that it's your "opinion" that it speeds up metabolism. It does not, and that fact is not a matter of opinion.

It was my opinion and not stated to be a fact! Thank you,

• JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Stacey765 wrote: »
    If you don't have certain medical conditions it is completely unnecessary. Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss

If you aren't hungry don't worry about it, however, if you are hungry I wouldn't put it off too long because that could lead to binge eating.

Another thing to consider is if you are working out - - depending on the exercise I can't go on an empty stomach. When I run I go empty, when I am on my bike I need some fuel beforehand. Just something to consider.

This is me as well. If I don't eat breakfast I get crazy hungry around 10am. On work days, I have breakfast after my shower and have some tea with milk & sugar mid-morning. On days I'm not working, it might be a bit later in the morning.

I also generally can't exercise on an empty stomach. I like to have a small snack prior, if it's been a while since my last meal.

• sullus
    Options

It's not really a matter of opinion ...
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Hmmmm one post. This one. I'd say ignore the advice because I'm also one of those who doesn't eat breakfast. If I do I'm so hungry I find it really hard to control my portions at lunch time. Without breakfast I'm hungry but I can make better choices so easier.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Right, but your opinion is that it speeds up metabolism, but in fact, it does not. So yes, you can have your opinion, no matter how wrong it is, but facts are facts.

• michellesz
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Right, but your opinion is that it speeds up metabolism, but in fact, it does not. So yes, you can have your opinion, no matter how wrong it is, but facts are facts.

Thank you
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Metabolic change is a measurable concept and cannot be subject to opinion.

If six small meals makes caloric deficit adherence easier for you, this is a matter of opinion. I'm glad you found what works for you.