Question about steps + calories

Pyxsii
Pyxsii Posts: 3 Member
hi everyone :)
I'm still pretty new to the mfp/exercise in general thing, so bear with me if my questions are silly ;)
So yesterday in total, I had a higher percentage of steps than today (so far), but I've burned more calories today? I'm not really comprehending the 'why'....no extra apps installed, no Fitbit or anything (my other half just bought me a zewatch2, but it's not compatible with the app from what I can see, so it should affect anything. I have eaten essentially the same thing (up to the time), so...is the app a little glitchy at times, or does walking distance fit in? I walked a lot farther in one go today over yesterday, that's the only reasoning I can see...
Thanks for any help!! :)

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,139 Member
    edited June 2015
    How is MFP getting a step count without you having an app connected? When an app is connected to MFP, MFP is receiving your "burn" from that app.... is your phone connected to MFP perhaps?

I have noticed with Fitbit that generally being active during the day results in a higher burn that a single bout of walking for exercise (depending on speeds)
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    I guess you didn't pick the same exercise out of the database?
  • Pyxsii
    Just walking, on my lunch break and general putting around at work.
    I'm guessing it's using my stats from my iPhone health app then? Like I said, I'm a little clueless lol :)
    Thanks guys :D
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    In the MFP apps, go to More > Steps to see which device you've connected to your MFP account.

And click on the calorie adjustment in your diary to see the math MFP used to calculate it.
  • Pyxsii
    Thanks! Yup, it's connected to the phone :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    To understand the "why," click on your adjustment.

Your default MFP calorie goal is activity level minus deficit. When your iPhone tells MFP you've burned more calories than your activity level, you get an adjustment.