Doctor suggests 800 calories a day

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would seriously consider getting a new doctor. Not because the doctor gave you bad advice about nutrition and dieting. Because the doctor has no clue what the limits of his or her knowledge are and is willing to give you medical advice based on a foundation of ignorance. (To people who want to defend the doctor b/c we don't know "why" this advice was offered: I'm sorry, but unless OP went in complaining about slow loss and not mentioning to the doctor the steady pound a week loss for a total of 50+ lbs, AND this was the first time OP saw that doctor so the doctor didn't have past records on OP's weight, there's just no excuse for that advice. And even then it should have been accompanied by an offer to monitor a patient going on a VLCD. "What you're doing that IS working based on empirical evidence 'can't work,' so do something different?")

OP, ask yourself, do you want to take advice from this doctor in other areas where you yourself may not know much and have to trust that the doctor's advice is based on sound knowledge. This doctor doesn't have any self-awareness about his or her own areas of ignorance and has no concept of empiricism.
  • frenchtoastkarma
    frenchtoastkarma Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am 5'0" and even I can lose weight on around 1200 calories (being sedentary). Definitely get a new doctor.
  • mstuck08
    mstuck08 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Metabolic damage will happen for sure
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Precisely, its not uncommon to not get all relevant information, its also not uncommon for people to jump to conclusions.

OP's profile says that she has lost 59 lbs. She mentioned in the thread that she's lost weight eating 1350 calories per day. Her doctor told her that 1350 wouldn't "help her lose weight" and that she should actually be eating 800 calories.

We can only use the info that we've been given, but to me, the doctor sounds like a moron about nutrition and should just stick to what he/she does best.

Since OP is successfully losing weight by herself using MFP, she doesn't need doctor, nutritionist, OR dietician. She's doing just fine.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Precisely, its not uncommon to not get all relevant information, its also not uncommon for people to jump to conclusions.

OP's profile says that she has lost 59 lbs. She mentioned in the thread that she's lost weight eating 1350 calories per day. Her doctor told her that 1350 wouldn't "help her lose weight" and that she should actually be eating 800 calories.

We can only use the info that we've been given, but to me, the doctor sounds like a moron about nutrition and should just stick to what he/she does best.

Since OP is successfully losing weight by herself using MFP, she doesn't need doctor, nutritionist, OR dietician. She's doing just fine.

I actually agree with this post.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Agreed. Don't fix what ain't broken.
  • Maries_wine_calories
    Maries_wine_calories Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Ok so... Anyone else think OP is trolling? Already lost 59lbs and NOW needs the advice of "doc" and feedback from forum?
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Is there any medical reason why you need to lose weight quickly?

Could she have said 1800 and you misunderstood her?
  • whirlygig60
    whirlygig60 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »
    Ok so... Anyone else think OP is trolling? Already lost 59lbs and NOW needs the advice of "doc" and feedback from forum?

No. She went in for a physical, not to get nutrition advice. She's coming here to talk about it because that's what people do on forums.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    scoandmur wrote: »

She explicitly said she didn't ask for advice, that it was offered unsolicited at her yearly visit. This is not outside the realm of believability and wouldn't be a very good troll anyway. :huh:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If she's generally a good Dr otherwise, I wouldn't be quick to drop her. But if you're losing on your current intake, I wouldn't change anything.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I started at 250 I'm 19 years old and I ate 1.5k calories a day I have lost 100 pounds.
    your doctor is stupid.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    What do you call the medical student who is last in his class? .... Doctor....
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    You are doing fine without your doctors advice. I would seriously be asking for my co pay back with that advice.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    If she's generally a good Dr otherwise, I wouldn't be quick to drop her. But if you're losing on your current intake, I wouldn't change anything.

No one THAT stupid is a good doctor. It carries over.
  • snarkyjen
    snarkyjen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't do it. I was on a dr supervised 500 cal diet last year. I lost 37# in 2 mos. Then once I started eating more calories, gained it back +15.. I was miserable and mean the whole time.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Zaeliekins wrote: »
    I just got my physical and my doctor was asking about how I'm managing my weight. I told her about my calorie intake of about 1350 (mfp set goal) calories and she said that wouldn't help me lose weight and I need to go down to eating 800 a day.
    I'm 205 lbs and 5'6"
    I'm a little puzzled that a doctor would recommend such a low amount.
    Just looking for opinions on this

You lost 59 lbs, so your doctor's assertion that you wouldn't lose weight on it is directly contradicted by observed reality.
  • lisa0brit0
    lisa0brit0 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Don't do it..
    I tried eating under 1000 cals a day for a while, I was super fatigued and light headed. I stopped the day I passed-out, It was very scary :(
  • hislittlelights
    hislittlelights Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As someone who is on 1200 a day before exercise is added in, I can't imagine 800! It's hard enough to meet my macros on 1200-1500 a day! I exercise just to have enough calories available to meet my nutrient levels. I'm 5 ft. 1, and I started at 218. I've lost just fine on the amounts MFP has given me. And I'm hypothyroid, so weight loss tends to be slower.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a new doctor.

This.

I was 204 pounds when I started, and I'm around 155 now. I'm also 5'6". Today after a few good walks, being on my feet a lot at work, and doing a few minutes doing stairs I will be eating 2000 calories. That still keeps me in my deficit of 250 calories per day.