FR etiquette?

Options
Raaneve
Raaneve Posts: 692 Member
Perhaps its just me, but its nice when people include a note or greeting of some sort with a friend request, and makes it substantially more likely that it will be accepted.

I see the request for actual human contact along with the FR time and again in profile after profile, and people often state no communication generally means no accepting the FR. Personally I think its polite to say something introductory to someone if I want them to consider being my friend, and expect the same courtesy from others.

Yet FRs with no communication attached are quite common and seemingly accepted?

Thoughts?

Replies

• karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    :D ^^ u rock!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've started rejecting friend requests where there's no message and I don't recognise the person from the forums. I'll usually do a search of the forums to see what they've posted and if I find that we've crossed paths I might still accept, but often I have no idea why people have added me, so I don't accept their request.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Raaneve wrote: »
    Perhaps its just me, but its nice when people include a note or greeting of some sort with a friend request, and makes it substantially more likely that it will be accepted.

I see the request for actual human contact along with the FR time and again in profile after profile, and people often state no communication generally means no accepting the FR. Personally I think its polite to say something introductory to someone if I want them to consider being my friend, and expect the same courtesy from others.

Yet FRs with no communication attached are quite common and seemingly accepted?

Thoughts?

I don't know what the " official " Fr etiquette is, but I do know that I have to make MFP work for me !
    In my profile I ask people to attach a little note about themselves so I have an idea who I am dealing with. Over the last five weeks I had 11 requests. Nine had no note and of those seven had nothing in their profile at all. I could not even find out if they were male, female, young or old.
    I know for many people that is not important, but after some experiences as an older person, neither being American nor living there, I put enough in my profile so people could make a halfway intelligent decision about befriending me and I just want to be able to do the same.
    I have just a bit more than a dozen friends ( my limit is 20, because I do more than just the " WTG " remark ), but can say that I get way more requests with no info than the ones I would like to get.

• zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    I've started rejecting friend requests where there's no message and I don't recognise the person from the forums. ... often I have no idea why people have added me, so I don't accept their request.
    ^these.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I delete all requests with no note and will try to figure out if we have mutuals before accepting. I don't like my list getting too big
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing the term profile being mentioned, where are we supposed to edit these profiles?
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    ^if you are using the web interface on a pc or mac, click your name at the top of the screen and you will be given an option of editing it :-)
  • ashleyash04
    ashleyash04 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I add people so I can peek at their food diaries to get meal ideas... I have a tendency to fall into "food ruts", where I eat the same thing over and over, until I get sick of it and binge on cookie dough.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    It's just personal preference I guess. I accept any requests but some people prefer a message. It's nice if they do, but some people probably don't even think to leave one.
  • RebeccaD22
    RebeccaD22 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of creepy FR...even with messages saying how good looking I am.....No, that doesn't make me want to accept your request lol!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    mamadon wrote: »
    It's just personal preference I guess. I accept any requests but some people prefer a message. It's nice if they do, but some people probably don't even think to leave one.

Your post makes me remember another thing I wonder about. I agree, most people don't even think about leaving a message. However in my profile the first sentence is a request for a message.
    So, if people don't include one, it makes me think they did not even read my profile. That's ok, but makes me wonder why they would want to befriend me in the first place, because without reading my profile they know nothing about me.

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    RebeccaD22 wrote: »
    I get a lot of creepy FR...even with messages saying how good looking I am.....No, that doesn't make me want to accept your request lol!

Can someone send me a creepy FR? please?
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    Do what you want, how you want.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    RebeccaD22 wrote: »

Can someone send me a creepy FR? please?

Really? Who wants to pop jpaulie's creepy FR cherry?? :)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    mamadon wrote: »

Your post makes me remember another thing I wonder about. I agree, most people don't even think about leaving a message. However in my profile the first sentence is a request for a message.
    So, if people don't include one, it makes me think they did not even read my profile. That's ok, but makes me wonder why they would want to befriend me in the first place, because without reading my profile they know nothing about me.

That's a good point. Although, I don't have that request in my profile, I do sometimes wonder why me. I am 53 years old, and I will get requests from people who are just barely adults, and I wonder why the heck they would want to be friends with me lol.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I deny mostly all the requests i get anyway, most have no message. Others are girls asking which diet pills ive used to achieve my weight loss (none . I didnt take any pills or anything like that ) and the remainder are usually creepers who send pervy messages. So i barely accept any at all anymore
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I always send a note along with a request. For me it's just the polite thing to do. Must be the Canadian in me ;)