How to get protein for vegetarian diet

My overall weight is ok but too much fat on tummy. I am vegetarian so looking options to replace carbs and fat with protein. Please suggest me some options which contains good amount of protein

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Pinto beans, black beans, chic peas, tofu, almonds, walnuts, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, squash, kale, collards, hemp seeds, eggs, cheese, yogurt.
  • Klhernandez81
    Klhernandez81 Posts: 62 Member
    Vega One, Spirutein, or Puritans Pride all make protein powders. vega is the most balanced with the most nutrients and is completely plant based. Puritans pride is the lowest calorie and the cheapest. I'd check whole foods (believe it or not they have them the cheapest and on sale often).
  • buttshrink
    buttshrink Posts: 32 Member
    There are a bunch of vegetarian friendly protien shakes out there! Look around until you find one you like!
    This is one of my favorites:
    https://www.advocare.com/150616583/Store/ItemDetail.aspx?itemCode=T2151&id=A&flavor=h
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Make your own seitan with vital wheat gluten. Just be sure to eat it with something that offsets the low lysine levels if you use it a lot.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    edited June 2015
    http://www.nomeatathlete.com/vegetarian-protein/

So much food is full of protein!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    You really don't need protein powders or supplements just go for a balanced diet and you really shouldn't have any issues. This link may help http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
  • donalynvaughn
    donalynvaughn Posts: 23 Member
    No need to pair foods or take supplements. If you eat a well balanced, whole foods (not junk-food-a-tarian) vegetarian diet, and consume enough calories for you, you will get enough protein. Great vegan sources include legumes, quinoa, buckwheat, chia seeds, hempseeds, nuts and seeds, vegetables (yes they do have protein), tofu, tempeh, nut butters. I do add spirulina (well Amazing Grass Green Superfood) to my green smoothies, which I have a few times a week.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    My overall weight is ok but too much fat on tummy. I am vegetarian so looking options to replace carbs and fat with protein. Please suggest me some options which contains good amount of protein

Good suggestions here, but replacing carbs and fat with protein will not get rid of your belly. You have to lose more weight or recomp
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Hold them down and force feed them a steak?

why is this flagged twice- that's just ridiculous.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »

Good suggestions here, but replacing carbs and fat with protein will not get rid of your belly. You have to lose more weight or recomp

this.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    I eat soy products (tofu, TVP, soymilk, soy-gurt) beans/peas/lentils, and use a rice based protien powder. :) if you consume dairy and eggs, then cottage cheese and egg whites are a good bet.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Hold them down and force feed them a steak?

sure, if I can shove some tofu up your nose.