Treadmill Minutes

Options
2»

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Intervals are the only thing that help me make it through a treadmill run as well. I dread running on the treadmill and avoid it whenever possible. But if I need to do a treadmill run I try to make it my interval run. If I have to do a steady pace run, I will play with the speed just a bit, like increase it one increment every 30 second until the end of the song I am on and then decrease it back down through the next song or something like that. I have to invent stupid little games to mentally get me through it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Put your food in the microwave? Haha... Microwave minutes are longer aren't they?

I have to cover the timer on the cardio equipment or time seems to go forever. I try and watch a TV program the length of my session so that I can stop when it's done :p
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Read a book. Make it a classic!

Audiobooks
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Intervals. That's the only way I can stay on a treadmill. Somehow, counting down the minutes/seconds until the next one keeps me occupied enough. TV and music just don't cut it.

The options are endless, short, harder intervals mixed with longer slower ones. Or a pyramid. Google treadmill workouts and you'll get tons of ideas or do your own thing.

This is so true for me. If I'm not doing intervals, I'm watching the timer anyway but it never seems to get anywhere. With intervals, it's pretty easy for me to tell myself "Just 30 more seconds" or "I can do this for 2 minutes!".

Yay for Intervals!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to run outside at 5:00 AM in the morning. Its cooler and I think its safer because all the crazy people have finally gone to bed at that hour. Traffic is very light too.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a little TV hooked to the front of mine, I watch action movies. I outrun several decepticons a day.

ETA: lots of reasons to run on a treadmill "instead of outside" mine is that while I do run at 5am, it is while my four kids sleep, not really down with leaving them all alone while I plug in my iPod and enjoy the fresh air!
  • Upstate_Dunadan
    Upstate_Dunadan Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I break my treadmill workout into intervals - either hills (incline for 5 minutes, then decline for 5 minutes) or HIIT. That helps make a 30 minute workout (or hour) into six (or 12) 5 minute workouts.

While I'm doing that, depending on how hard I'm working, I either listen to music playlists (for harder workouts where I can't really concentrate) or Audiobooks (for easier, pure cardio workouts).
  • jakicooke
    jakicooke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I hate running on the treadmill and much prefer outside but sometimes needs must. I do intervals on the treadmill BUT instead of watching the timer I use the music im listening to to dictate the pace so during the song I run at my normal steady pace and then when it hits the chorus I up the speed for and lower it again when the verse kicks in - it goes real quick!
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I like the netflix idea. I had no idea people watched tv while on a treadmill...shows how much exercise I get! lol. Does anyone have cordless headphones for working out...?
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    If it's a long, steady run, I have the tv on, but on a show I don't have to pay a lot of attention to. Faster (yet shorter) runs, I really can't pay attention to the tv. I don't even listen to music (can't stand ear buds when i sweat). I sometimes count my steps...take me a little under 200 steps to cover a tenth of a mile. It's rhythmic and kind of soothing.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    On days like today when it is raining and I am using a Tredmill I watch Netfix on my iPhone 6 Plus to help pass the time.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I sometimes purposely go the gym when I know there is something on the TV that I want to watch. I also change up my music once in a while. I only do 25 minutes on the treadmill, though, and don't get as bored with other machines and weights.

70044776.png
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    TV!

I actually have a treadmill desk. I do most of my work while walking. But I think other people are more coordinated or better able to focus than I am because they can read and type at higher speeds.

I want a treadmill desk!! I wonder if I can convince my boss to buy me one.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I run for 3 minutes then walk fast for 2 minutes do it for a mile then run for 3 minutes and walk fast for 1 minute then run for 4 walk 2 another mile then ruin 4 walk 1 i always finish off with run to finish before i know or I'm out of minutes.
  • strowco
    strowco Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate the tips. Definitely think I will focus on shorter intervals. Will try TV again but I get bored and end up just watching the clock (I sound like I have the attention span if a 5 yr old). I might give audio book a try too.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the morning watching TV and drinking coffee.

It is my way to get cardio in no matter what, even if the work day goes late and I miss the gym.

• headwind2015
    headwind2015 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Try the programmed workouts on the treadmill, if that is an option. Having variety is the key to running on a treadmill. Quick-start or just running at the same pace for the duration of a workout is just boring. I also find intervals a good way to spice things, because it sets smaller goals for me within a workout. (i.e. running at X speed for this time or distance followed by a more sustainable pace.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Cover the display with a towel!
  • AnthonyThrashD_
    AnthonyThrashD_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    treadmill personal records. I focus on new goal more so than time.

Treadmill karaoke. Get a karaoke app, and sing a long while on treadmill. You gym buddies will appreciate it.

facetime/google hangouts on treadmill. Nothing like keeping up with friends and family while burning calories. Master Multitasker!

Make an enemy. If you're at a gym, tell someone you can run 6 MPH waaaay longer than they can. (This also helps with motivation for beating personal records)

• stephaniewindom
    stephaniewindom Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Music is the only way otherwise running the treadmill is the boreest thing..