Stronglift 5x5

Options
jvs125
jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
Hi,
I'm considering starting Stronglifts 5x5 in the fall - I know it's far but right now I only want to play outside so I bike and run a LOT and any strength training I do is complementary and not the other way around. In the fall and winter though, when I'm less compelled to go outside, I like to focus more on strength with cardio being complementary.

So what I was wondering is, if I do Stronglifts 3x per week, is it ok to also do some cardio 2x or will that get me too tired to complete my SL workouts? I ask because, unlike many, I actually enjoy the cardio routine more; it just takes the stress out of me in a way that strength doesn't. So I would not do a program that doesn't incorporate some cardio.

Thanks

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You could do some cardio on the off days. I've never tried this, but SL 5x5 is quite heavy on the legs (squats every work out, deadlifts on workout B).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    Light cardio on off days early on might be ok, but once the weights start to go up, and they increase fairly quickly in Stronglift, you need those off days for recovery.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I'm running strong lifts now. I do it three days a week. It's pretty "leg heavy". You squat every work out. And there are deadlifts as well. In the beginning, cardio on the off days isn't terrible but as the weeks progress it may be hard. I tried to run c25k on my off days of strong lifts. It didn't work out too well.
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 5x5 now for my third time. I just keep going back to it because it's a simple and effective routine. I do 5x5 on Monday, Wed and Friday and Insanity on Tuesday, Thursday and sometimes Saturday. I'm tired, but can still manage Insanity. Keep your calories up though to fuel the activity.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I do both, and yes. It is perfectly fine to do Stronglifts 5X5 and cardio.