For the lifters out there!

Options
13»

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    you should do cardio for your health. Some of the biggest dudes i know are strong but have not stamina. Zombie food as they say.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I do cardio, but short (30 min. or so) intense sessions 3 - 4 days per week only because I like feeling physically tired at the end of the day. It makes me sleep better.

However, I prefer lifting and not having breaks between sets. I alternate leg exercises and arm exercises, so my arm exercises are a bit of a break, but I'm still lifting and it keeps my heart rate up the entire workout.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    HIIT cardio and skipping. You don't have to do it, but cardio has cardiovascular and endurance benefits. Especially in the case of being able to lift for longer periods of time. And there's definitely nothing wrong with improved circulation.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio because I really do enjoy doing it. But if I'm completely busy for the week, I'll make sure I get lifting in before I even consider getting cardio in.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I have some cardio related goals, so yes, I do some. I wanted to jog a whole 5k and signed up for 2. I did couch to 5k training for the first and managed to jog the whole thing on the 12th. Next one isn't until middle of August, so I'm working training for 10k distance during the summer to work on improving my 5k. I lift 3 days a week too. Almost to the end of New Rules of Lifting for Women and in the pondering stage of what to do when it's done.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    When I started lifting I asked a friend of mine for advice and then also asked her what cardio she does. She said she walks to the water cooler.

I used to do 1 day cardio, 1 day calisthenics and 3 days lifting. I've cut out the cardio day but I do 10 minutes on the eliptical before lifting just to warm up and get my heartrate up.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have to walk 40 minutes each day to get to and from work. I was running three times per week for a 5km race but now I've done that I'm going to drop the running to twice a week and up my resistance sessions to three times weekly. At the end of each set of my resistance exercises, I do 30 seconds high intensity activity like skipping, mountain climbers, bunny hops or shuttle runs.
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Nope.

...but I have a very active job and I also walk everywhere. Cardio machines absolutely bore me to tears. Once I start driving again I hope to get back to BJJ and muay thai.

Even just 3 minutes of hard rolling is insane cardio. Or maybe I'm just outta shape. :tongue:
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    OK silly question, but what is 'cutting'?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »

Eating a deficit, cutting weight
  • BoldGrace
    BoldGrace Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the answers. I mean I do some cardio (walk the dogs, horse back ride, barn chores, etc.) and work a busy 12 hr shift nursing job while most days getting in my ~10,000 steps with Fitbit. I just didn't want to have to squeeze in any extra like workout videos and the like. My goal now is to become strong and healthy. And well looking good won't hurt anyone either ;)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I applaud the multiple zombie apocalypse references in this topic. I agree that it's useful to be "fast enough" in an emergency. I try to run once in a while (or a few times per week). Cardio machines bore me, so I have to be desperate to go that route, unless we're talking the Jacob's Ladder. That thing wants to murder me.
  • CJsf1t
    CJsf1t Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    CJsf1t wrote: »

Eating a deficit, cutting weight

Thank you :smile: