Getting accurate food information on MFP

Hi all

I'm an athlete and am honing my MFP skills, and needing to ensure that I get accurate information on nutrition for the foods I eat.

I'd appreciate some tips on
1. choosing the 'best' product to add to my daily intake (e.g. there are some 15 different entries for Jalna Greek Yoghurt (one product from one brand) - how do I know which one/s to trust.
2. What is the easiest way to then use MFP so I'm not spending hours looking for the same thing every day/other day/ week? Can I "favourite" the items that I've found I can trust? (I don't want to have to read all 15 entries for my yoghurt over and over again - but I can't remember which one I used last time!)
3. While nutrition panels on Yoghurt may be accurate, tomatoes don't come with nutrition panels. How do I know which of the hundreds of tomato entries to trust?
4. (and to top it all off...) How can I use MFP to help the Geelong Cats win the AFL premiership this year? :wink:

TIA

Nigel

Replies

• DedHed57
    DedHed57 Posts: 2 Member
    Easiest way I've found to avoid the discrepancies is to add foods I normally eat to my database using the package label. Then I know it's accurate. As for veggies, the nutrition info is out there. And, no, MFP isn't what the Cats are going to need. Sorry.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    edited June 2015
    1) Just compare the product you have with the choices available. Scan it if you have a smartphone. Even if you scan it, double check that the nutrition information matches. For generic food, like fresh veggies, try searching vegetable, raw. For example, tomato, raw will bring up the USDA listing at almost the top of the list. It will give you many size options, from cups to pieces to grams.

If you have a smartphone, I find it easy to log all my normal stuff. I can add a salad with 7 different ingredients quickly by doing multi add and then it automatically finds your recent foods if you start to type, so I'll put tom...and tomatoes will pop up. Yog...will pull up all my recent yogurt entries and I can choose from there. On the computer version, there should be lists for recent, frequent, my foods, and recipes. You just go down the lists and click what you want then click add.
  • JanelleG0122
    JanelleG0122 Posts: 323 Member
    Everything they said is correct! Also the most accurate is usually the one with the most confirmations. When you go to click a food it will say either 'member submitted and -- confirmations' if it is less than 5 confirmations I usually don't add that one and i'll add my own in there! Good Luck!