Wanted to do Stronglifts 5x5, but trainer won't let me deadlift!

Options
2»

Replies

• FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    FitnessTim wrote: »
    Deadlifts are dangerous but done properly they are a valuable part of a strength training routine. If the trainer does not want to include them as part of his training routine he probably has an alternative approach that he believes achieves the same result. Depending on the situation and the particular client he may be right. If you don't agree with his approach or feel that you are ready for more than find another trainer.

I currently don't do deadlifts or squats either because I've been away from heavy lifting too long and my back is currently not ready for it.. My plan is to start with really light weight and work my way back up to heavy.

I've never hurt myself doing deadlifts or squats. I have hurt myself by NOT doing them regularly. My back pain is from sitting at a desk everyday, not from lifting. Every story that I have heard where someone got hurt involved lifting too heavy, using poor form or not being trained.

Whatever you decide to do, get the right guidance, take is slow and be careful.

technically any lift not done with proper form is "dangerous" so that is a little bit of a misnomer when you say deadlifts are dangerous when done without proper form….

It's relative. The risk factor from doing deadlifts without proper form is much higher than doing a bench press or curls. I can easily teach anyone to do curls or bench press. With deadlifts and squats it is much harder to do right so requires constant monitoring and correction. Bent-over rows is another tricky exercise to get right.

The best part of learning how to do the more complex exercises is that one develops a better sense of how the body should move.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are dangerous but done properly they are a valuable part of a strength training routine. If the trainer does not want to include them as part of his training routine he probably has an alternative approach that he believes achieves the same result. Depending on the situation and the particular client he may be right. If you don't agree with his approach or feel that you are ready for more than find another trainer.

I currently don't do deadlifts or squats either because I've been away from heavy lifting too long and my back is currently not ready for it.. My plan is to start with really light weight and work my way back up to heavy.

I've never hurt myself doing deadlifts or squats. I have hurt myself by NOT doing them regularly. My back pain is from sitting at a desk everyday, not from lifting. Every story that I have heard where someone got hurt involved lifting too heavy, using poor form or not being trained.

technically any lift not done with proper form is "dangerous" so that is a little bit of a misnomer when you say deadlifts are dangerous when done without proper form….

It's relative. The risk factor from doing deadlifts without proper form is much higher than doing a bench press or curls. I can easily teach anyone to do curls or bench press. With deadlifts and squats it is much harder to do right so requires constant monitoring and correction. Bent-over rows is another tricky exercise to get right.

The best part of learning how to do the more complex exercises is that one develops a better sense of how the body should move.

Is deadlifts and squats a move that is not used in everyday life?

What is so dangerous about deadlifts that makes bench pressing less of a risk? You can use short term and long term risk.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    The question is: do you like your routine/trainer and are you making progress with them?

It's perfectly fine to do a routine without deadlifts if you want. Just like it's perfectly fine to ditch the trainer and do Stronglifts.

At the end of the day you should do what you want to do, not what you heard you should do.

Can you get stronger using machines? Yes.

Is the deadlift a great full body strength and mass builder? Yes.

Is a routine you are happy to follow and get progressive benefits from better than the "best" routine that you hate and quit after two weeks? Yes. Yes it is.

Agreed, nice post.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The question is: do you like your routine/trainer and are you making progress with them?

Well put. There's the implication that we can only get optimal results from an extreme program like P90X or Insanity or whatever. I consider Stronglifts 5X5 to be more reasonable but even then for the average person you can still make progress with another routine.

On the other hand, programs like P90X may have a positive hype factor that can motivate a person to push harder. Regularly old strength training does not sound as exciting but it can be with the right mindset.

Whatever you do, you only get out of it what you put into it.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

It's perfectly fine to do a routine without deadlifts if you want. Just like it's perfectly fine to ditch the trainer and do Stronglifts.

At the end of the day you should do what you want to do, not what you heard you should do.

Is a routine you are happy to follow and get progressive benefits from better than the "best" routine that you hate and quit after two weeks? Yes. Yes it is.

Agreed, nice post.

Cosigned.
  • lynpcooper
    lynpcooper Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. I will discuss these things with the trainer.
  • lynpcooper
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback. I will discuss these things with the trainer.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If a trainer suggest using a smith machine for anything other than a coat rack, get yourself a new trainer.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    uh. ditch the trainer, learn correct form on the lifts, and work out the way you want to. smith machines are useless and a waste of time. 5x5 is a solid, solid plan that will get you results.

I second this. You're are paying the trainer to help you accomplish your fitness goals. If you feel that doing Stronglifts 5X5 is the best help with this, then he should at least respect your wishes and try it. That said, you don't need to pay a personal trainer to do Stronglifts 5X5. There are a lot of videos out there to show you how to do the exercises along with the proper form. This is how I leaned to do them. The more you do it, the stronger you will become.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    If a trainer suggest using a smith machine for anything other than a coat rack, get yourself a new trainer.

smith machine is good for calf raises.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Ok - I have used the smith for that..

and if I go on vacation and it is all they have I will squat on it, but I don't like it..
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

I found her trainer. ;)
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Ok - I have used the smith for that..

and if I go on vacation and it is all they have I will squat on it, but I don't like it..

I might start re doing that back I don't know some of my lifts feels so heavy for squat like just hold it on my back know that I should be able to get a few reps out.

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »

Agreed, nice post.

Cosigned.

I have now, the warm and fuzzies....

Thanks!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    lynpcooper wrote: »
    So I have lost about 80ish pounds and still have about 60 to go. I have been stalled for a year and have recently started lifting to change my body composition and kick start the weight loss again.

If you haven't lost weight in a year, you're not in a calorie deficit, simple as that. Strength training will have a minimal effect on your weight.. and it's not going to be quick. The weekly calorie burn from lifting is relatively low, especially the first month when you're starting light. Most of your fat loss will come from calorie reduction and cardio or other activities.

With that said, follow any strength program that uses mostly compound movements (= most programs). The differences between programs are negligible for someone with 60 lbs. to lose.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options

Argh! Was just going to say that, you beat me to it. I use it for calf raises too.
  • lynpcooper
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    So I have lost about 80ish pounds and still have about 60 to go. I have been stalled for a year and have recently started lifting to change my body composition and kick start the weight loss again.

If you haven't lost weight in a year, you're not in a calorie deficit, simple as that. Strength training will have a minimal effect on your weight.. and it's not going to be quick. The weekly calorie burn from lifting is relatively low, especially the first month when you're starting light. Most of your fat loss will come from calorie reduction and cardio or other activities.

With that said, follow any strength program that uses mostly compound movements (= most programs). The differences between programs are negligible for someone with 60 lbs. to lose.

Just to be clear, I am not expecting a quick fix. I am doing some cardio and eating at a deficiit. I've struggled over the past year but I am really working at it now. When I'm not lifting, I do HIIT workouts. I don't expect to lose weight from lifting alone, but I know that more muscle burns more calories. Just wanting whatever I do to be as effective and as simple as possible.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Just to be clear, I am not expecting a quick fix. I am doing some cardio and eating at a deficiit. I've struggled over the past year but I am really working at it now. When I'm not lifting, I do HIIT workouts. I don't expect to lose weight from lifting alone, but I know that more muscle burns more calories. Just wanting whatever I do to be as effective and as simple as possible.

Do you have a food scale? A stall for a full year. You got to get that diet under control OP. Once you got that diet down you will be set in reaching your goals.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Do you have a food scale? A stall for a full year. You got to get that diet under control OP. Once you got that diet down you will be set in reaching your goals.

This.

The main issue is controlling the flow of calories.

No lifting routine in the world can outchase a calorie surplus if you're trying to lose weight.

I suggest weighing everything you eat accurately for a whole month and see how you go from there. Just to be clear: nothing eyeballed or measured by volume. In conjunction with the lifting (and using the mirror/tape measure/clothes fit) see how you feel in 3-4 weeks. Think you'll be surprised.
  • starseedxo
    starseedxo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Crossing the street is dangerous too. So is driving. Ditch the trainer, and quite possibly the gym. UI'm guessing the only reason that he doesn't want you to do Stronglifts is that you won't need him for long after, and therefore he's out a client, and paycheck. Find someone to teach you the correct form, and have fun with Stronglifts. I love it!