Could crossfit be done in a regular gym? Could I learn crossfit on my own?

Options
i see where crossfit and paleo go together often. I love eating paleo meals and would like to get into crossfit. Is this something I can learn on my own through YouTube and practice at planet fitness or do I have to join a crossfit gym. Thanks!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Lol, Planet Fitness won't let you throw down barbells. You'll get LUNKED. And no, learning compound lifts through a video with no corrective instruction on your actual form is probably not a good idea.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    you could AFTER you learned the moves. I think they call the new classes onramp or something. AT least do a few of those better yet join for a month or two. Then you can do the WOD on your own at home or a gym. My brother loves crossfit. I personally don't get it. It seems like an injury waiting to happen.
  • iamwilso
    iamwilso Posts: 1,955 Member
    Options
    Learn the lift's first, they are complex moves and good form is a must. As mention most gyms will kick you for dropping weight etc. just check with them before hand.

• marysamezz
    marysamezz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are certain moves in crossfit that could be done in a regular gym and others that could not. My coaches have sent me work outs to do while i'm on vacation/not near a gym, it really has potential to be done anywhere. The olympic weight lifting part of crossfit couldnt really be done at planet fitness when you're talking over head lifts, which usually includes dropping the weights which isn't allowed in most traditional gyms. BUT you could definitely look up some circuits you could do and learn some of the moves on your own. For example one work out I did while at a gym hotel was just a climbing ladder of push ups and dumbell snatches. 1 snatch, 1 push up, 2 snatch, 2 push ups, and keep going up. there are plenty of workouts like this that could be done at a regular gym with out getting that stupid lunk alarm. To sum it up, a lot of the body weight movements can be taught on your own, along with basic lifts like bench, dead lift, and squat. If you're looking to eventually get more advanced or if you want to be trained on the basic moves I would go to your local crossfit gym :) Goodluck!