Shoulder pain when running

Options
I've been running for a few years, usually ~3 miles 2-3 times a week, and have recently started running a bit more, ~4-5 miles 3-4 times a week. I'm mostly feeling great, but my neck/shoulders always hurt after the first mile (when nothing else even really feels tired). I do a lot of intense vinyasa yoga and am moderately but not extremely flexible. I'm a lady and medium to slightly large chested (5'1", size 8ish, 34C), but not big enough that I think that would be a problem. Anyone have suggestions for getting rid of this pain?

Replies

• AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too. Have you had your gait observed by a trainer/professional? Turned out I was carrying a lot of unnecessary tension in my neck and shoulder, and I had to re-learn how to run by making small modifications to my gait.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Holding my shoulders too high to make up for a crappy sports bra did it to me. (I can't run anymore, though.)
  • Ironmaiden4life
    Ironmaiden4life Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yep agree with both the ladies they nailed it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    use the belly breath you are learning from yoga and do a body scan to relax your body
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i get like that too sometimes, it's normally because i'm tensing up.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Running too tense- usually with your arms up too high. Force yourself to drop your arms and relax. Your shoulders should un-tense.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    OP, would it be possible that you post a video of you running at a side angle?
  • fishcat123
    fishcat123 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the helpful replies! I definitely could use some better sports bras, so maybe that will help!

Thanks for the offer to look at a video of me running, but I'm not quite comfortable posting videos of myself online (too shy...). I do have a couple of friends who are into fitness and running so I will see if they can look at my stride. :) I am pretty tense and usually carry my tension in my shoulders, so that could be it.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Absolutely drop your arms. I used to get this pain too. Drop your arms so you almost feel they are 'too low'. Try running like that and see how you get on. Might feel odd at first but does stop the tensing up.

After years of running with low arms, I can now run 'normally' without the shoulder pain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i get like that too sometimes, it's normally because i'm tensing up.

This! My shoulders get a bit tense sometimes, try shaking your arms out and relax