Ice cream measuring woes

didda1
didda1 Posts: 71 Member
I have weighed this ice cream that I am going to devour- 116 grams.
I am trying to log it, but I can only find it available in 1/2 cup increments.
How do I figure out how many 1/2 cups an accurate weigh is?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    does the package state a serving size along with a gram amount? (usually says something like 1/4 cup is a serve, but also says a serve is Xg)

...if I can't find an entry that works, I make my own
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    edited June 2015
    does the package state a serving size along with a gram amount? (usually says something like 1/4 cup is a serve, but also says a serve is Xg)

...if I can't find an entry that works, I make my own

This. Takes extra time, but make your own entry with grams.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    The nutrition label will usually show how much half a cup weighs. Some don't, though, so you just have to be mindful.
  • didda1
    It has mls with the serving amount.
    I have no idea how to convert grams to mls with ice cream lol.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    didda1 wrote: »

hmm....icecream normally has a weight per serve. what icecream is it? perhaps just find a similar product?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

That is because ml are liquid and grams are weight. They do not convert.
    Please make your best guess. It will be o.k.

• didda1
    President's choice brand ice cream- I'm in Canada.
    I've never seen anything except ml measurement (and of course cups) here for icecream.
    I may just 'guess' how much I had lol.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    if you get it again, you could tip all the icecream out of the container, weigh it, work out grams per serving (the package should say how many servings) and go from there...
  • didda1
    edited June 2015
    "That is because ml are liquid and grams are weight. They do not convert.
    Please make your best guess. It will be o.k."

Yeah, that's the issue I'm running into.
    Not being able to figure this out is peeving me off. Ok, not really, but gah, why can't the label be in weight, not liquid measurement? Who measures ice cream as a liquid, anyhow?
    I'm going to guess 3/4 of a cup, and leave it there.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member

Not being able to figure this out is peeving me off. Ok, not really, but gah, why can't the label be in weight, not liquid measurement? Who measures ice cream as a liquid, anyhow?
    Fabulous. B) You worked it out. That's how these things go sometimes --- best guesses are the best we can do.

• peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member

Not everyone has a food scale but almost everyone has measuring cups. Scoop the ice cream into the measuring cup or just use the measuring cup to scoop the ice cream right out of the container. Easier than fussing with a scale and tare weight IMHO.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    1ml water=1g. More dense liquids (like oil, melted ice cream, etc) will be more of 1ml=1.2+ grams (usually 10%-20% heavier than water). If you weigh in grams, use the ml. serving size and add 20%. Example, if a serving is 100ml, weigh out 100 grams of ice cream and count your serving as 1.2 of 100ml.

Yep, it sucks, but it can be done.
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    all the ice cream labels I've seen in the last 3 years have the grams on it. The majority coming in at 67g-68g / serving (mint choc chip) and like 160c for that.

edit* so at your 116g. you are slightly under 2 servings IMHO. Take another spoonful!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    usually it says serving size 1/2 cup (68 grams)
    or whatever.
    so if I double it- I just double it.

just work the math out and give it the best guess you have- as long as you're using your scale you can work it out to a reasonable amount.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member
    edited June 2015
    RodaRose wrote: »

That is because ml are liquid and grams are weight. They do not convert.
    Please make your best guess. It will be o.k.

You could look up the density of ice cream and then convert it that way :wink:
    http://dairyscience.info/newcalculators/overrun.asp
    Hahah so... you could use that calculator to get the density in kg/L (same as g/ml) and then multiply the 125 ml serving by that to get the equivalent grams. MUAHAHAH. Science.

Note: I've never used that calculator before so I don't really know if it's right. Might be worth buying an ice cream that says both ml and g just once to test the calculator, if you can find one that is.

Or you could assume that 1L of ice cream weighs 525g and not worry too much about it. If your deficit is really small, leave some extra wiggle room. That's approx 66 g per half cup serving.

Not going to lie... I usually just assume 1 scoop is 1/2 cup (my scoop isn't giant). I don't eat ice cream that often so I figure if I slip up once in a while, it's ok.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    peter56765 wrote: »

Not everyone has a food scale but almost everyone has measuring cups. Scoop the ice cream into the measuring cup or just use the measuring cup to scoop the ice cream right out of the container. Easier than fussing with a scale and tare weight IMHO.

Unless you're me, and a really expert "packer". I can fit astonishing amounts in to a container. I'd likely get 2-3 "serves" in one serve sized container and end up overeating. Fine if it's Celery.... Not so fine if it's icecream.
  • livingleanlivingclean

Unless you're me, and a really expert "packer". I can fit astonishing amounts in to a container. I'd likely get 2-3 "serves" in one serve sized container and end up overeating. Fine if it's Celery.... Not so fine if it's icecream.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    And it doesn't seem like there's a standard. Some of the churned ice creams have 60-70g per half cup, but a lot of my gelatos are 100g or so per half cup. But ice cream that doesn't drive you insane to log. :devil:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    Is there a "net weight" listed on the outside of the container? It's possible that there's a total weight and total number of servings given if you run into a situation like this again
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I remember reading somewhere that President's Choice is similar enough to Wal Mart's Great Value brand. You can look for the American version of the flavor, should be good enough.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    All I'm concerned about is if you're going to eat it before it melt?!?!
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Wait for the ice cream to melt. Then put the liquid form into your measuring cup. Ta da! (Please don't wait....that ice cream is begging for you to eat it!)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    i solve this problem by eating the entire container.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    Calorie Count's website had quite a few entries for President's Choice ice cream with grams listed as the serving size. While I don't know the accuracy of the entries, they may give you a pretty good idea of what you're looking at.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member

Yeah, it's easy to heap food so that it overflows your measuring cups but ice cream is semi-solid and fairly uniform in texture. If you level off with a knife, you can't really cheat. Ice cream is kinda like sardines: You can only fit so many in the container.
  • octhawk
    octhawk Posts: 51 Member
    Different brand than you use, but Breyers vanilla 1/2 cup = 66 grams, Ben and Jerry's 1/2 cup chunky Monkey or vanilla = 107 grams, Chio Bello Sorbet 1/2 cup = 102 grams, Blue bunny lists 1/2 cup at 66 grams, Braums 1/2 cup = 65 grams, Dean's 1/2 cup = 68 grams,

I see your point. You either had slightly more than 1 serving or approx. 2 servings!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    President's choice brand ice cream- I'm in Canada.
    I've never seen anything except ml measurement (and of course cups) here for icecream.
    I may just 'guess' how much I had lol.

Label will say calories per serving, the size of the serving, and the number of servings in the container.

The front will usually tell you the net weight. Take the net weight and divide it by the # of servings to find out the calories per weighted serving. Calories per unit weight? Take the calories per serving and divide it by the weight of the serving.

Also, if there's no weight anywhere, weigh the sucker full, guestimate how much the package weighs, eat it all, then actually measure the package weight, find the net weight, and get an exact figure for next time. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Okay, this one's weird...I bought a pint of cookie dough ice cream last night and looked at it when I was getting some out today. Serving size: 1/2 cup-83 grams. Total of the pint: 471 ml! Even American brands can't be consistent in their measurements!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,724 Member
    i solve this problem by eating the entire container.

This is a phenomenal solution. You're my new hero
  • livingleanlivingclean
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Okay, this one's weird...I bought a pint of cookie dough ice cream last night and looked at it when I was getting some out today. Serving size: 1/2 cup-83 grams. Total of the pint: 471 ml! Even American brands can't be consistent in their measurements!

That's normal....